Please help me with battery options and business case

Pressure

Re: Please help me with battery options and business case

Post by Pressure »

You probably want www.smart-energy.octopushome.net

For Givenergy systems there's a dedicated help page - looks like you set the rates / pence-per-kwh at which you want to import into the battery or export, for the Agile tariff. Looks straightforward in the screenshots but it is a beta service (if not alpha).

There are settings for a few other inverters to get some automated import / export under agile.

One could use Flex instead to control tariffs but the rates don't look attractive to me.
Paul_F

Post by Paul_F »

I'm wondering if there's more scope to keep working on the heat pump scheduling before you get a battery.
The reason I'm wondering about this is that your electricity consumption still looks quite high in the peak periods for there to be no heating on - I've got gas heating but cook electrically and use 1-2 kWh/day of electricity so 6 kWh/day during peak periods alone looks quite high. I don't know your lifestyle, but it's the sort of thing that gets spidey senses tingling! Have you got electricity bill (or smart meter?) data showing daily consumption in midsummer when heating is effectively zero and hot water should be minimal?

Homely do a very smart thermostat which among other things learns the heat loss rate and thermal mass of your house then uses this combined with weather forecasts and electricity prices (including Agile Octopus) to run the house slightly warmer during times of low electricity prices so it can turn off during times of high prices and not import at all. You look like you might be a textbook case for this sort of thing, and at £220 + installation it's vastly cheaper than a battery. Even if it downsizes what you need slightly it might well be a good deal, and Homely are working on battery integration in future apparently.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Pressure wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:48 pm You probably want www.smart-energy.octopushome.net

For Givenergy systems there's a dedicated help page - looks like you set the rates / pence-per-kwh at which you want to import into the battery or export, for the Agile tariff. Looks straightforward in the screenshots but it is a beta service (if not alpha).

There are settings for a few other inverters to get some automated import / export under agile.

One could use Flex instead to control tariffs but the rates don't look attractive to me.
I can't find that page... or anything similar which looks promising!
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Below is what it says on the page:

Octopus Energy R&D labs is an ALPHA system we’re experimenting with - please use with caution and at your own risk. We will do everything we can to answer questions, solve issues and help but as a very new system please treat with caution.

Use these instructions to set up a GivEnergy system to track the Agile import and export rates.

Pre-requisites:

Agile import and Agile export tariff
GivEnergy system attached as a device to the Octopus Energy R&D labs system
1 Go to the Schedule menu option.
2 Start typing GivEnergy in the device box and select your inverter from the list.
3 Give your schedule a title.
4 Choose your start/end times.
5 Decide whether to run once (never repeat), or repeat daily, weekly or monthly.
select your inverter from the list
6 Decide whether to use GivEnergy’s own Modes, or select the optimisation drop-down and select Octopus or Carbon.
select optimisation type from the optimisation drop-down
7 If you have both import and export, you’ll be able to set both charge and discharge values.
8 If you’ve not got an export tariff, the discharge option will not be visible.
9 Set your preferences for the Agile import rate to charge below and the Agile export rate to discharge above. Also set the min and max SOC levels too.
set your charge and discharge preferences for the Agile import and export rates
10 Alternatively use the Half-hour to charge and discharge using the best number of half-hours in the period of the schedule. In this screenshot example, the lowest 6 half-hours of Agile import and the highest 3 half-hours of Agile export .
set charge and discharge using the best number of half-hours in the period of the schedule
11 Once done you’ll see schedules in the Calendar and history will start to populate below.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf