Adding a Smart Gas Meter

Stinsy

Re: Adding a Smart Gas Meter

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:52 pm The gas man came and fitted my gas smart meter this afternoon, he simply scanned the bar code of my SMETS2 comms hub to set it up. Great guy, very knowledgeable, very practical and no jobs worth. He noted two things not strictly to code but he said he could clearly see were no safety issues. We had a great chat, he said he was supposed to give me a lecture on saving energy but in my case he said he was not going to insult me, but if customer services call you about my visit, please tell them I did the lecture. :lol:

He found it difficult to believe my radiators were hot running from a heat pump sourced from an underground river and powered from a battery bank charged up overnight. I even showed him the ripple wind turbine pics and he just shook his head. :mrgreen:

He told me when solar panels started to be fitted, he had to visit several properties with a warrant and a police officer in tow because of suspicious readings but most of the time it was because of property's had solar panels fitted and the meter was running backwards or the RED light (reverse detection) was on when a meter reader noted it.

I only had 2 cubic feet of gas left before the next therm unit incremented on the old meter and it was squeaky bum time when he insisted on turning everything gas wise on to check my installation. The gas boiler and all gas hobb burners full on. :?

But the final reading on the old meter still came in at 0748. :lol:
But after purging all the air out after fitting the new meter by running all my gas hobb burners again, my start reading is,

So I gained 98 cubic feet of free gas on the old meter but lost 0.32 cubic metres of gas on the new one. But that's still a net gain of roughly 28 kWh. :twisted:
The gas “lost” on commissioning the new meter wasn’t really lost though, the heat went into your house.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:44 pm The gas “lost” on commissioning the new meter wasn’t really lost though, the heat went into your house.
Yeah, but the gas hob burners are less efficient than my heat pump. ;)

I know, I'm being a bit pedantic.

Also the gas info (British Gas) is now available on my Octopus local monitor !
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

nowty wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:05 pm Stayed in all day and just had a text from British Gas to say they don't have an engineer available. :(

But booked again for next week and £30 compensation for not turning up, well at least that's 4 months standing charge taken care off. :D

Not much headroom to the next "therm" meter reading, I'll have to maximise my induction hob use for the next week. :twisted:
Its been a long time since this post, but just recieved this from British Gas.

"A while ago", like nearly a fecking year ago ! :evil:
Still £60 will pay for nearly my annual gas bill. :twisted:

I first winced at the thought filling out the paying in slip for the cheque but I've just found that my bank app now accepts photos of cheques. 8-)
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3