Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

nowty

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:52 am
nowty wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:39 am Up in the North at my folks today and it’s snowing, so feeling quite Xmas’y. :D

Radiators are too hot to touch. :shock: , but at least it’s warm. 8-)

I’ve just been checking out his Octopus account, he’s doing very well on leccy, only 3 kWh a day, but gas is verging on the 200 kWhs a day in this cold. :evil:

But am I telling him to turn it down ?, well not while I’m here. :lol:

He’s still on 3.5p for gas until July.
Not fitted an A2A for the old man yet?
I don’t get much say on what goes on at my dads house, you should have heard the arguments about him accepting a new fridge which has turned out to halve their leccy consumption.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Only just discovered this forum in the past couple of weeks so no doubt I have made many errors in setting up a solar and battery system 🤦🏻‍♂️
Posters on here seem very knowledgeable.
However whilst trying to optimise the system I have, I am wondering whether I should hold off increasing my battery storage.
I have a givenergy system with 2 x 9.5kw batteries and 5kw of solar.
2 x 8.5kw ASHP’s
We have an old house that isn’t particularly well insulated with UF heating.
I am upgrading our radiators to the strada radiator designed to work with ashp’s, which have the cooling function although Mitsubishi say they don’t support the pumps using the reverse valves.
We have 2 EV’s and I am wondering wether i should hold off installing more batteries, and inverter, in the hope V2H will come to my rescue.
Because of our position our solar generation isnt that great my best day was in October about 7 kw but sunny days at the moment I only manage 2.5kw max.
I’m sure some on here can point out all my errors but it’s been a huge learning curve especially when I blew our fuse because the previous owner had connected the house via a hidden 60 amp fuse.
Any suggestions to help optimise my energy use would be gratefully received…….😊
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 4 210 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
AGT

Post by AGT »

Welcome to the forum, best thing you can do is insulate, insulate, insulate and reduce your the heating demand, that would be the first task prior to changing radiators etc

My old Victorian house(180m2) has a heat loss of about 11kW with -5 outside air temp and 21 deg inside air temp still working to reduce this, this year..

Good luck in all your efforts!
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Thanks for the reply.
I have been waiting for cavity wall insulation to be injected since September.
All our double glazing is recent, albeit we have quite a few bi-fold doors which don’t help keep the rooms warm but afford a nice view.
I am not getting the most out of my batteries as the inverter only charges at 2.4 kWh on the intelligent rate.
Luckily they are still a few free ev chargers close by, so cars are topped up cheaply.
I want to increase battery storage and charging rates but that might be a bit hasty as we will have 140kw of capacity on the drive come the summer.
If V2H arrives this year perhaps,I don’t need more batteries
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
AGT

Post by AGT »

Post some pictures of the inverter set up, so others can see what you have installed, get advice from you and offer any advice too!

I have an EV it’s cheaper for me to take it to the local authority sports centre, 1 mile away to charge than charge at home, so I do that and combine a dog walk at the same time
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Welcome Yuff.
If you plan to stick around, Nowty will be interested (as will we all as to your kit for the cumulative "not so secret" members annual fag packet production / storage thread if you want to add to that. ..you'll have seen the member signatures with things like ripple ownership, solar ashp, battery, ev etc (which counts as battery storage) ..if so add it to our sig / pm nowty.

We moved from a longstanding forum often refered to as (st) elsewhere which had years of detail built off it, but sadly things change, so this is our recent incarnation with a small but useful group of folk.

Dig around, ask, add to old threads if you deem it applicable, not many rules here bar self promoting links.
👍
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
nowty

Post by nowty »

Welcome Yuff, your the 105th member of the secret list which will trigger an update of the stats when I get round to it.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=13&t=922

Sounds like your already on your renewable way what with PV, batteries, heatpumps and EVs. :mrgreen:

With the heatpumps and EVs you will have a leccy hungry house, any chance you can double your PV ?

Or are you aware of the Ripple Windfarm projects ?
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... ?f=28&t=20

Do you know your annual PV yield ?

What's you battery capacity in your EVs ?
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Hi Nowty

Your posts caught my eye hence the reason I signed up.
We live in a conservation area so could only get panels on the back of the property, which luckily faces south.
I have looked at ripple but can’t get my head around it at the moment, as to how it works, but would like to invest.
You’re absolutely right about a hungry house, during the cold snap, last month a few days I used 170kw daily which was a bit painful at 40p a unit 😪
Current EV capacity is 120kw but that will increase to 140kw in match when I get rid of my useless e-tron. How Audi can produce an ev car you can’t communicate with unless you’re in it is beyond me🤷🏻‍♂️
I read your recent post on the wind power thread about the 3rd ripple site but gather you’re unsure about how the recent changes affect the site and you understand it way better than I do😃
On the plus side I’ve earned £100 in Octopus credits from savings sessions, but that just means I’m spending more in the first place 😊
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

AGT wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:00 pm Post some pictures of the inverter set up, so others can see what you have installed, get advice from you and offer any advice too!

I have an EV it’s cheaper for me to take it to the local authority sports centre, 1 mile away to charge than charge at home, so I do that and combine a dog walk at the same time

I’ve enjoyed the free electric for the past 2 1/2 years but it has got much harder to find free chargers, in the last 6 months, with the huge increase in energy.
We have a couple of free chargers but none within walking distance anymore.
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
nowty

Post by nowty »

Yuff wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:24 pm

I love how the whole installation simply looks like a few neat white square inanimate boxes and not quite the look of a Frankenstein's mad scientist installation.

It definitely has the SWMBO approval. :mrgreen:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3