Extra batteries & future system expansion

Yuff

Re: Extra batteries & future system expansion

Post by Yuff »

richbee wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:29 pm
Dropkickwalker wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:42 am Hi, did you get the additional battery installed? If so, how easy was it to do? I’ve got 10kw being installed on Monday, but I’d like to increase this later in the year to support some electric heaters.
Regards
Rob
Hi Dropkickwalker,

Yes, I did add another 5kWh Sunsynk battery. As it was the same make and type, I just had to buy a pre-made connector lead set, and connect it up - everything was easy (apart from carrying a 50kg battery up into the loft!!).
Depending on the type, you have to be careful that extra batteries will play nicely together - eg. Sunsynk have several versions of batteries made by different suppliers - CATL, BYD etc (all branded Sunsynk) and the different types don't work together.
I’m having this issue with GivEnergy, was trying to add the new AIO to my current set up. Not possible but thanks to 94JDH I’ve managed to find a set up to double my storage and charge/discharge rates.
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 3 170 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

@ 94JDH

First week with the Gen 3 inverter and very happy now it’s working properly.
With my replaced heat pump and the inverter things working pretty well and efficiently.
Will be chasing the installer to get the extra inverter and two 9.5s fitted asap.
If we weren’t using the EVs so much this week I’d be making a profit from my export, although the mild weather helps hugely.
:)
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
94JDH

Post by 94JDH »

Yuff wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:31 am @ 94JDH

First week with the Gen 3 inverter and very happy now it’s working properly.
With my replaced heat pump and the inverter things working pretty well and efficiently.
Will be chasing the installer to get the extra inverter and two 9.5s fitted asap.
If we weren’t using the EVs so much this week I’d be making a profit from my export, although the mild weather helps hugely.
:)
Superb, get that money spent! :lol:

Hopefully some good money to be made in the future and a nice bill reduction to boot

Contemplating a third inverter......just don't think my single phase would cope! :mrgreen:
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set up multiple time slots to charge/discharge the batteries?
I can see in the inverter settings it says slot 1 which I assume could mean there could be more than one time slot :xx:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
94JDH

Post by 94JDH »

Yuff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 am Does anyone know if it’s possible to set up multiple time slots to charge/discharge the batteries?
I can see in the inverter settings it says slot 1 which I assume could mean there could be more than one time slot :xx:
What inverter firmware are you does it end in 307?
If so, look on the web portal and you should see 10 charge and 10 discharge slots available.
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

94JDH wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:05 am
Yuff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 am Does anyone know if it’s possible to set up multiple time slots to charge/discharge the batteries?
If so, look on the web portal and you should see 10 charge and 10 discharge slots available.
Thanks 94JDH, I’ll take a look.
:praise:

Edit: yep 307, have set a slot for overnight charging and exporting :xx:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
94JDH

Post by 94JDH »

Yuff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:21 pm

Everything working ok or you now?
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

94JDH wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:45 am
Yuff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:21 pm

Everything working ok or you now?
Yep 94JDH
lots of flexibility now, although my installer is saying i should look at the sunsynk battery inverter set up. Single phase inverter 16 kw charge/discharge. That seems nuts. With outgoing octopus that could be pretty lucrative. Would need to be able to sell my GivEnergy kit to make it work and that may be too much hassle. I can get to 9kw with the extra inverter and batteries. Just waiting for some prices.
Hoping to have my first 30 kWh export day to day and managing that with a fair bit of EV charging and chilly 🥶 weather :oO:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Have had a couple of weeks with the Gen 3 inverter and it is working pretty well and very flexible.
My installer has had a bit of a nightmare with GivEnergy and after wrong advice from GivEnergy, by phone unfortunately, has ended up with a redundant 13.5 kWh AIO battery which he can’t fit anywhere until GivEnergy give them training on that product, which isn’t before April.
I was looking to double my capacity, as 94JDH has, which GivEnergy are saying is possible but might not always work but they will help with it, or my installer is suggesting the latest sunsync 16 kw inverter ( if Dno approval) and 8 x 5.2 kWh batteries.
Cost is £15k sunsynk or £7.5k GivEnergy upgrade, however I may get 3-4K for my existing GivEnergy inverter and batteries. I have no idea on the 2nd hand values of the existing kit I have and I am tempted to stay with GivEnergy, anyone any thoughts.
I’m on IOG and OO, so the export at 16 kW is highly tempting :pot-stir:
Last edited by Yuff on Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
richbee

Post by richbee »

Yuff wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:02 am Have had a couple of weeks with the Gen 3 inverter and it is working pretty well and very flexible.
My installer has had a bit of a nightmare with GivEnergy and after wrong advice from GivEnergy, by phone unfortunately, has ended up with a redundant 13.5 kWh AIO battery which he can’t fit anywhere until GivEnergy give them training on that product, which isn’t before April.
I was looking to double my capacity, as 94JDH has, which GivEnergy are saying is possible but might not always work but they will help with it, or my installer is suggesting the latest sunsync 16 kw inverter ( if Dno approval) and 8 x 5.2 kWh batteries.
Cost is £15k sunsync or £7.5k GivEnergy upgrade, however I may get 3-4K for my existing GivEnergy inverter and batteries. I have no idea on the 2nd hand values of the existing kit I have and I am tempted to stay with GivEnergy, anyone any thoughts.
I’m on IOG and OO, so the export at 16 kW is highly tempting :pot-stir:
I have Sunsynk kit, which I'm generally happy with - but I've seen quite a few good things written about Givenergy systems - they seem to have more of a whole system thing going on - with the all in one gateway (?) to control multiple parts of the system as it grows, and their own car charger which also integrates
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW