Pylontech x Sofar - battery in standby mode far too early

Angriness8601

Re: Pylontech x Sofar - battery in standby mode far too early

Post by Angriness8601 »

Tinbum wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:05 pm It may be that sofar are not happy to run the inverter down to that voltage.
Just found this on Facebook. If this post is accurate then maybe sofar have identified the need for 46 volts and an update might be on the way... Maybe.

ducabi

Re: Pylontech x Sofar - battery in standby mode far too early

Post by ducabi »

Angriness8601 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:35 pm
So. Solutions?
  • Sofar release a software update to allow a minimum voltage below 47 to be set by the user
  • Buying more batteries might stop you hitting the lower SOCs as much, but that's hardly a solution
  • Get over your first world problems and just live with it
  • Somehow hack the firmware to change the lower limit from 47 to 46. This might void warranties if anyone found out about it.
  • Perform a "Man in the middle attack" against the CAN connection between the battery and the inverter; telling the truth about the SOC but lying about the voltage until maybe you hit a limit you're not happy with and then start telling the truth again which would then force the inverter to back off. You might be able to drain down to 95% SOC as well if you lied about that (newer batteries support 95%). This might void warranties if anyone found out about it.
  • Change the sofar inverter to a more generic battery type which ignores the CAN bus and hope for the best but forever live with an inaccurate SOC being calculated and everything generally being sub-optimal
  • Move the setup to somewhere warmer, this will limit the voltage drop but won't fully fix the issue
There are 2 more solutions:
- install some PV to top up batteries, if like in my situation, there is a garage then it can be DIY
- connect EV in the evening and prey for extra slots, so when the inverter is in standby mode house runs on off peak. Tbf that's what I was doing when it was windy and looked like every evening i was getting extra slots.

But I agree with you that it's a pain. Although recently I can see more often that it runs to 18-21% instead of almost 30% DOD.