Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

NikoV6

Re: Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

Post by NikoV6 »

Yuff wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:03 am
NikoV6 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:48 am So as we normally use nothing at those times as we are still on battery, and we can't export as Powerwall is set to never export and we don't get paid for solar export as we don't have MCS certificate, we will get nothing? Oh, good :head-bang:
Can you not get an MCS certificate, then you can force charge your batteries. I’ve just sorted mine out and am exporting between 9am -3pm. Just started this week, averaging 10 kWh past 2 days.
Luckily the heating etc come on around 5 ish and normally top the DHW for 75 mins around 5.30, so some decent use during the baseline hours. Have to wait until SWMBO gets home from work though as she has the car linked to IO.
let’s face it last year was nuts having everything on for 3 hours just to get your use up.
I did turn everything up yesterday to use about 25 kWh, but last year I would have turned on fan heaters, ovens etc that did not need using :shock:
Self installed solar so no MCS🙄

Irony is that we have a 5kWh export limit with DNO agreed and an export MPAN, but Octopus want £250 to "admin" our system to see if it's ok to export 🤬🤬

The bloody DNO is happy you Muppets!! :head-bang:
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
John_S

Post by John_S »

nowty wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:58 pm Last page for the new formula,
https://www.nationalgrideso.com/documen ... 1/download
Interesting sub-note in Section 2 of Appendix 5 on the last page 39/39.

o You should never have figures in both “Export MPAN and “Import MPAN” fields in the same settlement period. One should always be 0.

This implies that in each half hour settlement period there is net metering.

I am still waiting for an Export MPAN so I cannot attest whether this is really the case. I can state that without a Export MPAN, it is not the case. For example if I am exporting 1kW and put the kettle on to make a cup of coffee, my usage will change to about 1.3kW import and that will clock up on the meter and show within the half hour total seen either via download the next day, the electricity bill or my Octopus Mini.

Can anyone with an export MPAN throw any light on what happens?
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

John_S wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:26 pm
nowty wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:58 pm Last page for the new formula,
https://www.nationalgrideso.com/documen ... 1/download
Interesting sub-note in Section 2 of Appendix 5 on the last page 39/39.

o You should never have figures in both “Export MPAN and “Import MPAN” fields in the same settlement period. One should always be 0.

This implies that in each half hour settlement period there is net metering.

I am still waiting for an Export MPAN so I cannot attest whether this is really the case. I can state that without a Export MPAN, it is not the case. For example if I am exporting 1kW and put the kettle on to make a cup of coffee, my usage will change to about 1.3kW import and that will clock up on the meter and show within the half hour total seen either via download the next day, the electricity bill or my Octopus Mini.

Can anyone with an export MPAN throw any light on what happens?
I have just started exporting and that’s how it shows up on my mini and on my Givenergy webpage
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 4 210 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
nowty

Post by nowty »

John_S wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:26 pm Can anyone with an export MPAN throw any light on what happens?
With regards to the saving sessions, we will find out when the first results are in as this is the first test event with the new formula. Several on here have the export MPAN and have the capability of exporting so we should know in a few days.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:37 pm
John_S wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:26 pm Can anyone with an export MPAN throw any light on what happens?
With regards to the saving sessions, we will find out when the first results are in as this is the first test event with the new formula. Several on here have the export MPAN and have the capability of exporting so we should know in a few days.
Our MPAN application is being processed so unlikely to be approved by this evening but have set one Inverter to export for the hour so will see what transpires. No problem if we don't gain financially from it on this occasion as at least a miniscule drop in demand upon the Grid should result. :)
richbee

Post by richbee »

OK, here we go - now exporting - never tried this before so it is all manual modifications to the inverter settings - set an alarm to put it back to normal :lol:
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
richbee

Post by richbee »

richbee wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:33 pm OK, here we go - now exporting - never tried this before so it is all manual modifications to the inverter settings - set an alarm to put it back to normal :lol:
Seems to be working, but has rather confused the inverter - it is registering 3000W export, but only 30W as house load, which is clearly wrong.
The smart meter is reading 2550W export, which suggests the house is using more like 500W, which sounds about right - I've already got my cuppa ready, so have to hold out on tea until after 6:30 :pot-stir:
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
nowty

Post by nowty »

I'm still waiting for my export MPAN but I've set my export to 200W to lower the chances of any inadvertent import. :whako-teapot:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

My iboost decided to heat the water at about 5.55pm, randomly, and I didn’t know what was using the load until I got home 20 mins later
Pretty much exported the whole hour bit lost 0.5kwh because of the iboost :head-bang:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 4 210 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
nowty

Post by nowty »

One of the members on here has an export tariff with Octopus and managed to export circa 1.8 kWh during the session which is a reasonable amount to do a calculation with. They have kindly let me have access to their Octopus account so I can do some number crunching and see if it matches how many Octopoints they get. I will have to wait till tomorrow to get their exact session data off but I've already calculated their last 10 working day baselines for each half hour slots. :geek:

Baseline
0.007 kWh net import for 17:30 to 18:00.
0.007 kWh net import for 18:00 to 18:30.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3