Anyone else had a bill for the recent cold snap?

Countrypaul

Re: Anyone else had a bill for the recent cold snap?

Post by Countrypaul »

NikoV6 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:04 pm
Fintray wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:26 pm
NikoV6 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:50 am

Just rads sadly, but ones specifically for ASHPs.

Underfloor will be an addition as we extend. Much research going on at the moment into super insulated slabs!
Which ones did you put in and are you happy with the output, also what temp do you normally run the heat pump flow at?
Ultraheat rads, they were selected by the ASHP installers. Several are significantly thicker than traditional rads we have had before.

Heat pump flow temp is an interesting one. I have the temp set using the timer function, 16degs when I want the heating off (overnight and during main part of the day) and 18degs when I want the heating on. This is in conjunction with Honeywell Wifi TRVs on each rad. They are also set to 16 degs when I want them off and 18 when we want heat. Its a work in progress but seems to be a fairly good compromise. Although, if a room is calling for heat, i.e. its dropped below 16 degs but the ASHP controller is registering its thermostat at 17degs for example it will not kick in. I do not know how the ASHP gets its room temp as it does not have a separate thermostat that I can see??
I have a 11kW Ecodan with the FTC5 controller, there is a built in Thermistor in the Remote Controller that is used to monitor temperature, though a thermistor or thermostat can be connected to the main FTC Master if prefferred. I believe the FTC6 works in the same way. The manuals for the Ecodans are all available on the Mitsubishi website, for example: https://library.mitsubishielectric.co.u ... query=ftc5
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

NikoV6 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:04 pm
Fintray wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:26 pm
NikoV6 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:50 am

Just rads sadly, but ones specifically for ASHPs.

Underfloor will be an addition as we extend. Much research going on at the moment into super insulated slabs!
Which ones did you put in and are you happy with the output, also what temp do you normally run the heat pump flow at?
Ultraheat rads, they were selected by the ASHP installers. Several are significantly thicker than traditional rads we have had before.

Heat pump flow temp is an interesting one. I have the temp set using the timer function, 16degs when I want the heating off (overnight and during main part of the day) and 18degs when I want the heating on. This is in conjunction with Honeywell Wifi TRVs on each rad. They are also set to 16 degs when I want them off and 18 when we want heat. Its a work in progress but seems to be a fairly good compromise. Although, if a room is calling for heat, i.e. its dropped below 16 degs but the ASHP controller is registering its thermostat at 17degs for example it will not kick in. I do not know how the ASHP gets its room temp as it does not have a separate thermostat that I can see??
I am about to order the Jaga strada radiators with a DBH, designed to work with heat pumps.
90% less water content as our pipe work is old and has multiple add onscwhich in its the flow rate. Hoping they will work much better. Already had UF heating from a recent refurbishment.
Mitsubishi are saying they don’t support using the reverse valves to use the cooling function on the rads, for the summer, but I am hoping they change their position in the future.
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 4 210 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

[/quote]

Are you able to use your radiators to cool the property in the summer if it gets too hot?
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
nowty

Post by nowty »

Yuff wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:45 pm Ultraheat rads, they were selected by the ASHP installers. Several are significantly thicker than traditional rads we have had before.
I presume you mean higher volume and higher surface area so they give the same amount of heat at a lower temp ?
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Yuff wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:45 pm

Are you able to use your radiators to cool the property in the summer if it gets too hot?
Not that I am aware of, I think Mitsubishi dont approve.

I think I would just get a split AC unit if heat becomes an issue
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

nowty wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:29 pm
Yuff wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:45 pm Ultraheat rads, they were selected by the ASHP installers. Several are significantly thicker than traditional rads we have had before.
I presume you mean higher volume and higher surface area so they give the same amount of heat at a lower temp ?
Yes, and overall much bigger compared to traditional rads. Most are in effect double rads, one behind the other
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

To cool the property you need your rads piped with either feed or return at the top of the rad. In the UK this often results in the rads streaming with condensation.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:07 pm
To cool the property you need your rads piped with either feed or return at the top of the rad. In the UK this often results in the rads streaming with condensation.
I have just ordered these to go with the radiators

https://jaga.co.uk/dbh
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

NikoV6 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:54 pm

Not that I am aware of, I think Mitsubishi dont approve.

I think I would just get a split AC unit if heat becomes an issue
Mitsubishi don’t support it in the UK, not sure if they do support it in hotter countries.
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

They do, ecodan units too. Popular in Germany with a Mr slim outside and cassettes indoors possibly with a hydrobox and underfloor or rads for older folks. RHI will disable this function, it's just a dip switch.