Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Stinsy

Re: Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Post by Stinsy »

marshman wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:57 pm Not sure how critical it actually is, I think as long as there is some "constraint" to prevent or at least limit the swelling/bulging of the sides of the cells that would be sufficient.
I don’t think it is critical at all to get the forces perfect. So long as there is an enclosure that resists expansion you’re fine, with a bit of additional “pre-load” being beneficial. If you’re complicating it more than that you’re adding a lot of additional effort for little benefit IMO.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

..Which makes me think, dis / misinformation is rife where knee-jerk & modern batteries are concerned, maybe the tensile strength & lightweight nature of mica board inserts ought be employed for battery storage walls, it has massive fire resistance & tensile strength. scraps can be cut & slotted in uniformly.

Add to this an outer cement fibre board casing maybe? ..would certainly cool the brows of govt & industry as to future storage solutions & containment processes.

If compressed mica board & cement board are good enough for fireplaces WBS etc then in terms of expansion / compression & the like we have a pretty good fit for getting over general battery based hurdles.

Battery drawer liners, under stair battery compartment construction & the likes the whole shebang going forward to new / retro build roll out.

FIreplace shops to cut some battery expansion dividers, & topps tiles to source & make a casing that should satisfy all ?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
marshman

Post by marshman »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:47 am
marshman wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:57 pm Not sure how critical it actually is, I think as long as there is some "constraint" to prevent or at least limit the swelling/bulging of the sides of the cells that would be sufficient.
I don’t think it is critical at all to get the forces perfect. So long as there is an enclosure that resists expansion you’re fine, with a bit of additional “pre-load” being beneficial. If you’re complicating it more than that you’re adding a lot of additional effort for little benefit IMO.
Just following what the manufacturers specification states, not much effort or cost involved.
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marshman

Post by marshman »

Mr Gus wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:58 am ..Which makes me think, dis / misinformation is rife where knee-jerk & modern batteries are concerned, maybe the tensile strength & lightweight nature of mica board inserts ought be employed for battery storage walls, it has massive fire resistance & tensile strength. scraps can be cut & slotted in uniformly.

Add to this an outer cement fibre board casing maybe? ..would certainly cool the brows of govt & industry as to future storage solutions & containment processes.

If compressed mica board & cement board are good enough for fireplaces WBS etc then in terms of expansion / compression & the like we have a pretty good fit for getting over general battery based hurdles.

Battery drawer liners, under stair battery compartment construction & the likes the whole shebang going forward to new / retro build roll out.

FIreplace shops to cut some battery expansion dividers, & topps tiles to source & make a casing that should satisfy all ?
"dis / misinformation is rife " - no disinformation re. compression from me - I have posted and quoted the actual manufacturer data sheets. Use the info or don't , believe it or don't - but the info is there.

"mica" ? Think you may mean the epoxy/fibreglass "inserts". Yes great tensile strength but flexible/bendable as hell so no good for end plates/walls unless thick (=expensive). Nothing wrong with aluminum or steel boxes if you are concerned about fire.

The cells themselves are not a fire "hazard". Far more likely to get issues with terminals/cabling - all of which would be impossible to enclose in a fireproof box. If really concerned then a simple "heat" detector alarm - same as fitted in kitchens is all that's required in my opinion, linked in to the other smoke detectors i the house.
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I know & you know they aren't really a big fire hazard, but as put across many times in the past, "when govt get's their hands on it" the same people who insist on the installation of railings on many a flat roof building with long histories of never having a fall suddenly having to spend a good whack drilling heavy fencing on roofing that doesn't get many / any visitors.

(likely also failing to get planning permission for solar due to "appearance" whereas much higher (5 ft)?? visiblity ring of galv steel rooftop fencing is just dandy) :roll:

So I think casings are going to be more focussed on, i'd be happy with quick release dividers to remove a cell as easily as a screw down locking mech is for many a car battery these days ..even if it meant a 3m mask, welders apron gauntlet gloves & a large containment battery bag to remove a potential "cell chemistry gone wild" in the absence of a wheel out server type trolley.

As for mica, "brain fog" I actually meant vermiculite panels as used in greenhouses, woodstove side, top, rear panels for decades, which hopefully also serve as insulation from extreme temperatures as much as anything else, much like a decent "ice" cooler.

It's a case of second guessing what will come to the fore when home battery storage is commonplace, not necessarily your individual build MM.

The perception of housing structure around a battery room will come under close scrutiny, it's ripe for more bad reportage because 2+2 vague connections by loose association by gutter press.

We are a nation that specs in plasterboard to moisture laden bathrooms & ceilings after all so getting all elements of storage for batteries into the realms of insurable liability by design, of which I can see inserts between cells being called for whilst general knowledge from law-making / breaking mp's being called for just like stove surround & frontage requirements.

You only have to look at transport bans on all battery mobility bar l/acid mobility scooters to see how much of a tangle it will be potentially for a row of terrace houses / semi's etc.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Colin Deng,
Just wondering. What is the largest EVE lifepo4 style capacity battery I can purchase for residential purposes in 48V 15S mode, 6,000 cycles etc. Feel free to PM me. Thank you
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:46 pm Colin Deng,
Just wondering. What is the largest EVE lifepo4 style capacity battery I can purchase for residential purposes in 48V 15S mode, 6,000 cycles etc. Feel free to PM me. Thank you
Thank you Joe
Just send you message
Colin Deng(Batterycolin)
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
Email:guohed070@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-deng-2b4277238/
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Thanks Colin, much appreciated.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

Sorry for the delay in reply or update of the shipment
My father was in ICU for over a week
Now is getting better , i will try to reply when i able to

Many thanks
Colin
Colin Deng(Batterycolin)
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
Email:guohed070@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-deng-2b4277238/
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Hope your dad recovers quickly Colin.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf