Solis RAI-3K 5G

Kenny000666

Re: Solis RAI-3K 5G

Post by Kenny000666 »

Did you manage to get any response from Solis for the TechView password?

I find that they don’t pick up tickets unless you call them. And if you call them the wait time is like 1 hour.

I managed to get through to them and asked the guy on the phone if they can advise what the techview password is to configure the inverter remotely. Unfortunately he didn’t know, nor did he have much info on the Tech view app at all. Apparently it’s something being phased out. So question is, if not TechView, what’s the replacement.

I was thinking of delving into the world of modbus, but reading up about it is sending me back to the world of schooling…
Umski

Post by Umski »

No nothing yet, the ticket isn't even assigned yet - sums up the experience so far - hoping there's no long term issues or warranty to resolve - their stuff may be available to and reasonably priced but unless they have local support in place it can be a problem - that and community based knowledge which is still a bit thin in seems puts Solis in the 'not so great' bucket for me. Fingers crossed I don't have any issues...as for the config, I think I've been through the menus so many times now, I know where all the relevant settings are! I received the data logger stick yesterday and set it up, again not completely smooth but registered myself as an 'installer' rather than 'owner' (I've seen the pain of this from SolarEdge) and then connected to the Cloud - let's just say it's a lacking somewhat and I'm regretting wasting 70 quid on it - I'll see if it adds any value or whack it it on ebay - the only useful info would be the battery data, but other than that I'm already logging what it sends in and out separately, and importantly every 10s rather than 5 min.

Modbus would be a good one to learn about but I just don't have the headspace at the moment - I've only just been able to (hopefully) find a workaround in my energy monitor/diverter code to prevent inadvertent discharge into the hot water - it's not elegant but seems to be working in a few corner cases where it was happening and even when it does, it kicks itself out of a runaway situation. Even just adding a subtracting the values to display house (import/export), PV, divert and battery charge/discharge values gave me a head ache! Once it's working it'll be a case of 'if it ain't broke' :lol:
Kenny000666

Post by Kenny000666 »

Yeh the service is slow, but at least it exists. You need to call them if you want a response. My tickets had been unassigned for weeks.

I just had a RMA for a LAN data logging stick, busted it after trying to upgrade the firmware. They warrantied it, took about 2 weeks since registering the ticket, hounding them on the phone and finally got a new one a couple days ago.

May I ask how you are scraping inverter data without using the data logging stick? Im trying to do the same and trying all different solutions I find on the forums. I use HASS and trying to get PV and Meter data into it (since my Smappee energy monitor blew up after 5 years of operation)
Umski

Post by Umski »

Kenny000666 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:15 am Yeh the service is slow, but at least it exists. You need to call them if you want a response. My tickets had been unassigned for weeks.

I just had a RMA for a LAN data logging stick, busted it after trying to upgrade the firmware. They warrantied it, took about 2 weeks since registering the ticket, hounding them on the phone and finally got a new one a couple days ago.

May I ask how you are scraping inverter data without using the data logging stick? Im trying to do the same and trying all different solutions I find on the forums. I use HASS and trying to get PV and Meter data into it (since my Smappee energy monitor blew up after 5 years of operation)
Good to hear they honoured the warranty at least :)

My data is indirect - I've added an extra CT with a copy/paste of the relevant lines of code on my open energy emonTX (which was reading the grid and PV to work out the diversion) so that I can calculate the charge/discharge power and then transmit it to the LAN connected node over an RFM12B (433MHz), this then adds it to my feeds on emonCMS via an API which then does some jiggery pokery with calculations to present a nice graphic which I can run on an old smartphone or tablet via a browser. I also have a dated looking GLCD which receives the same data so that I can then mess about with the code to present what I want to see rather than taking a laptop out and reading the serial output from the Arduino. Ideally I would also read the battery voltage using a voltage divider but I need to get my head around the code without breaking the existing readings (it multiplexes the volts from an AC transformer and amps on the 3 CTs and samples every mains cycle 50 times so timing is crucial as it uses interrupts which is beyond my comprehension for the moment!) The hardware has moved on since I bought it and the new way is to use a R-Pi which runs the CMS locally, the hardware interface is still Arduino however - I tried to run the CMS on my own webserver as it's PHP but as I'm using Apache on Windows (yuk I know) there was some weirdness with file access I never resolved so I'm paying for the emonCMS site which is £1 per feed per year which I think is fair. If I ever delve into Linux land I may make the jump! As it had been untocuhed for 8 odd years I never felt the need to tweak it until now due to the battery. As and when the Pylon arrives and is installed I may need to look into it further to add more data such as SOC...
Kenny000666

Post by Kenny000666 »

Did some experimenting with modbus on nodered. I found out my logger doesn’t wrap the modbus messages in solarman v5 protocol so I couldn’t use those integrations. But luckily it’s just modbus so I can make my own standard flows to pull data out of the inverter.
If you end up using the same logger firmware as mine and its not solarman v5 I can share how I get battery SOC. Otherwise try using solismon3

https://github.com/NosIreland/solismon3

I’m going to see if I can do modbus writes to trigger charging, or changing settings via modbus, but considering the risks for not much benefit for now, I think I’ll avoid.
FlimFlam99

Post by FlimFlam99 »

Hello, first time poster but found this board via google.

Is there anyone here using this inverter with a Pylontech US3000C which has a serial number with a 'C3' as the 8th and 9th digit? I've just installed this inverter with 2 of these batteries and the can bus connection wont work, I think it might be due to the new chip in these batteries (C3 is a new chip). I've tried a number of different cables, including home made ones with only the pins on 4 and 5, also tried with 2 to 6 and 4-4 and 5-5 as a cable which matches the required design as well. But no luck.

Have solis on the case as well who did a software update for me of the inverter but problems remain. So, if anyone does happen to have this inverter working with a C3 serial number US3000C would you be able to tell me:

DRMNO, MODEL, Software Version from the inverter display, what cable you are using and if known the firmware version installed on the batteries.

Thanks.
Umski

Post by Umski »

FlimFlam99 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:39 am Hello, first time poster but found this board via google.

Is there anyone here using this inverter with a Pylontech US3000C which has a serial number with a 'C3' as the 8th and 9th digit? I've just installed this inverter with 2 of these batteries and the can bus connection wont work, I think it might be due to the new chip in these batteries (C3 is a new chip). I've tried a number of different cables, including home made ones with only the pins on 4 and 5, also tried with 2 to 6 and 4-4 and 5-5 as a cable which matches the required design as well. But no luck.

Have solis on the case as well who did a software update for me of the inverter but problems remain. So, if anyone does happen to have this inverter working with a C3 serial number US3000C would you be able to tell me:

DRMNO, MODEL, Software Version from the inverter display, what cable you are using and if known the firmware version installed on the batteries.

Thanks.
Welcome :) I don't have my Pylon yet but am expecting a US5000 that's on pre-order - this doesn't bode well however if you're seeing issues with the 3000 which is supposed to be compatible as is :( Just for the benefit of others, what was the process like for Solis updating firmware? Was it over the data logging stick remotely? From what I can gather there is no specific pathway for updating locally as I've not come across any support/firmware updates in the UK/European.

Hopefully someone can answer you question and you can get them to connect (and there I was thinking moving away from my pain in the bum lead acids to Pylons would be easy!)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

FlimFlam99 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:39 am Hello, first time poster but found this board via google.

Thanks.
Can bus connection is “nice to have” but not “required”, you can set the inverter to lead-acid and adjust the voltages if can-bus cannot work.

However I’ve never heard of anyone having the same problems you’re encountering.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Umski wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:16 am

Thanks.
Welcome :) I don't have my Pylon yet but am expecting a US5000 that's on pre-order - this doesn't bode well however if you're seeing issues with the 3000 which is supposed to be compatible as is :( Just for the benefit of others, what was the process like for Solis updating firmware? Was it over the data logging stick remotely? From what I can gather there is no specific pathway for updating locally as I've not come across any support/firmware updates in the UK/European.

Hopefully someone can answer you question and you can get them to connect (and there I was thinking moving away from my pain in the bum lead acids to Pylons would be easy!)
Hasn't someone posted here about sockets/pins being swapped between different Pylontech models or age versions, but it not being highlighted anywhere? ISTR the solution was to make a bespoke cable with one or two wires swapped to go between the 2 types of batteries.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
FlimFlam99

Post by FlimFlam99 »

Umski wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:16 am

I logged a ticket with Solis and asked if there was a software update for my inverter in case that was the issue. The chap checked and sent it down to the inverter remotely via the internet. Took about 1 hour or so. All you need is a working data logging stick.