Idiot's guide to a self build battery

nowty

Re: Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:59 pm
Colin Deng wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:53 am On my way to the factory and arrange the shipment now
Video will be later today

Thanks
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the update on our batteries, much appreciated. :xl:
Fintray, just interested in how you are going to integrate the batteries with your Powerwall 2 ?

Or is this going to replace it, or even a second battery system ?
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

nowty wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:36 pm
Colin Deng wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:53 am On my way to the factory and arrange the shipment now
Video will be later today

Thanks
Hi Colin,

Fintray, just interested in how you are going to integrate the batteries with your Powerwall 2 ?

Nowty,

I'm not sure how the 2 systems will react with each other but the batteries from Colin will be going through a Victron system.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:00 am

Hi Colin,

Nowty,

I'm not sure how the 2 systems will react with each other but the batteries from Colin will be going through a Victron system.
OK, so the Victron could just simply be an on/off grid manual pump and dump buffer. :mrgreen:
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:56 am
Fintray wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:00 am

Nowty,

OK, so the Victron could just simply be an on/off grid manual pump and dump buffer. :mrgreen:
I’ve said before that if you want/need 2x battery inverters then an acceptable solution is for one to be “smart” and target zero import/export via a CT and the other can Charge at full whack during the cheap period and discharge at 500W (or whatever your “baseload” is) the rest of the time.
Last edited by Stinsy on Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
robl

Post by robl »

If one of your inverters connects to your consumer unit, and the other one connects via a Henley block then you’ve got separated power and you can have both inverters following demand, each with a CT. So in the pic below, “hybrid inv” connects to the consumer unit, and gets a CT that just sees the consumer unit - so hybrid nulls this power. Then as well, with a Henley block, you can have “existed inv” and the blue CT - this is on the overall meter tail. If anything gets past the “hybrid inv” then this will pick it up. Eg if the hybrid inv is full or empty or excessive current.
Ignore the “wrong” in the old pic I found, honest :-)

4kWp solar, EV

Diy: MVHR, 150mm EWI, 15kWh batt, 2.4kW GSHP & no gas
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

robl wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:40 pm If one of your inverters connects to your consumer unit, and the other one connects via a Henley block then you’ve got separated power and you can have both inverters following demand, each with a CT. So in the pic below, “hybrid inv” connects to the consumer unit, and gets a CT that just sees the consumer unit - so hybrid nulls this power. Then as well, with a Henley block, you can have “existed inv” and the blue CT - this is on the overall meter tail. If anything gets past the “hybrid inv” then this will pick it up. Eg if the hybrid inv is full or empty or excessive current.
Ignore the “wrong” in the old pic I found, honest :-)

In theory yes. However in practice this can lead to unintended consequences. For example: one battery inverter charging at full whack while the other battery inverter discharges at full whack.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Andy

Post by Andy »

You will probably be able to let the power wall empty and then have the victron take over later using a bit of node red code. You'll need a cerbogx or similar to run everything.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm sure there will be a suitable way for them to work together :xx:

Andy I have a Cerbo GX ready and waiting.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Andy

Post by Andy »

Fintray wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:51 pm Thanks for the replies guys, I'm sure there will be a suitable way for them to work together :xx:

Cool, there are node red nodes for getting power wall information already. Should be quite simple to set up the logic.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Andy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:53 pm
Fintray wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:51 pm Thanks for the replies guys, I'm sure there will be a suitable way for them to work together :xx:

Cool, there are node red nodes for getting power wall information already. Should be quite simple to set up the logic.
I might be calling on your knowledge some time in the not too distant future then Andy! :lol:
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf