Idiot's guide to a self build battery

AE-NMidlands

Re: Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Andy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:28 pm Of course Fogstar now have the BMS I bought but significantly cheaper. It's on sale at £79 and without the import tax. And it's the 200A version.

[removed]
and comes with an interesting/honest caveat:
Note: JK provide no instructions with their BMS apart from those included in the downloadable PDF. We strongly recommend that you have a good working knowledge of LiFePO4 systems and BMS electrical equipment before purchasing this product.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Andy

Post by Andy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:42 pm
Andy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:28 pm Of course Fogstar now have the BMS I bought but significantly cheaper. It's on sale at £79 and without the import tax. And it's the 200A version.

*LINK REMOVED* SCAM
Note: JK provide no instructions with their BMS apart from those included in the downloadable PDF. We strongly recommend that you have a good working knowledge of LiFePO4 systems and BMS electrical equipment before purchasing this product.
And I hadn't noticed it isn't the real fogstar site either.
Last edited by Andy on Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Andy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:46 pm

[link removed]
And I hadn't noticed it isn't the real fogstar site either.
Not sure who this is in response to, as i cant find the original post to link that fogstar page.
My battery boxes i ordered, along with the new jk bms and 4.5" screen, was cancelled by the seller due to an issue with the box quality apparently.
They still posted the bms, and the screen x3, and refunded the rest, before they told me.
I have sice decided to go with something vertical or horizontal capability, so have 3x gobelpower cases on the way. They have the old JK bms in them from what i gather, despite showing a pic of the new ones on the site.

Depending upon which bms fits the gobelpower case, i will then have 3x bms spare.
I wouod prefer to fit the newer one but the older jk bms has the neey 10 amp thrown in for free, as a deal done by gobelpower for me.
So it literally is a case of which one fits, as to which i have spare.

Andy, from Andys Garage, has a 1.5second segment on a video, trying to fit the new jk into a GP case that has a screen. Mine wont. He said it didnt fit... i dont know for sure if i can make it fit in the space the screen takes up, until it turns up.

So, long winded, but if anyone is needing a bms, i will have either, 3 older jks with 10amp neey available at cost, or 3 newer ones, when the shipment arrives.

If that helps anyone, then let me know.
I will definately be parting with one or the other.
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

Yeah, crazy they can't make a manual, or apparently even get tech specs right on their website. Be aware JK managed to wire their pinouts back to front on the inverter BMS connection board, their own website showing the specs is wrong which someone else worked out what it should be:

38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AlBargey wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:47 am
Yeah, crazy they can't make a manual, or apparently even get tech specs right on their website. Be aware JK managed to wire their pinouts back to front on the inverter BMS connection board, their own website showing the specs is wrong which someone else worked out what it should be:

:o wow!
Call me old fashioned but I like accurate pin outs and manuals the same. Silly I know. :lol:
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:05 am
Colin Deng wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:58 am
Joeboy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:56 am

That's excellent, marine tracker must be running delayed.
Should be about next week , then the battery will be arrived
Shenzhen rains heavily today
I'd better get my finger out and clear some space for those batteries arriving :D
I think something is mixed up on comms here. Ship is docked in Rotterdam at the moment.

i expect Felixstowe to be next dock in a day or so depending on alongside time in Rotterdam. Nearly there! :)
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:36 am
:o wow!
Call me old fashioned but I like accurate pin outs and manuals the same. Silly I know. :lol:
Yeah! :facepalm: JK have some of the best BMS's but terrible documentation.
Joeboy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:36 am i expect Felixstowe to be next dock in a day or so depending on alongside time in Rotterdam. Nearly there! :)
Exciting! Looks like Monday at Felixstowe, I hope customs don't sit on it for the next few weeks like they did mine :xx:
38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

Andy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:28 pm Oops, that isn't the real fogstar. I wouldn't trust that site.

fogstar .shop
WARNING!

That is a SCAM website! - *Edit (Just checked and they've already managed to get it taken down!)

I emailed Fogstar about the scam looking Fogstar.shop domain address:
Fogstar.co.uk wrote:
Jade (Fogstar Ltd)

Good Morning Al,

Thank you for your email.

We are aware of the site and are in the process of getting it taken down.

Thank you for letting us know.

Kind regards,

Jade
The official Fogstar domain is: https://www.fogstar.co.uk/
Last edited by AlBargey on Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Is it worth editing all the links so that people can't accidentally click on them? I'm doing my posts now.
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

AlBargey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:27 am
Andy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:28 pm Oops, that isn't the real fogstar. I wouldn't trust that site.

fogstar .shop
WARNING!

That is a SCAM website! - *Edit (Just checked and they've already managed to get it taken down!)

I emailed Fogstar about the scam looking Fogstar.shop domain address:
Fogstar.co.uk wrote:
Jade (Fogstar Ltd)

Good Morning Al,

Thank you for your email.

We are aware of the site and are in the process of getting it taken down.

Thank you for letting us know.

Kind regards,

Jade
The official Fogstar domain is: https://www.fogstar.co.uk/
Fogstar is keep the leisure battery simple
Which is the way to learn from
Making it the max capacity into the same battery group
That's what i have been working on these days
Colin Deng
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
guohed070@gmail.com