Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Joeboy

Re: Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Post by Joeboy »

We've seen the benefits of the larger capacity stack and larger solar net over the last couple of days. The net has harvested all it can and in marginal, raining, cloudy weather it has been enough coupled with much appreciated flashes of fast charging.

The larger stack has stored it all and given us the confidence to leave the grid charge button switched off on the hybrid inverter. I know for sure that I'd have been tapping the grid by now in smaller stack times.

We are averaging 0.75kWh per day from grid and most of that is down to us. At 07.30hrs today in cloud cover we have 1.5kW incoming and 39% soc. The HWT is fully charged and there are 70 miles on EV.

Having run through the house multiple times over the years to reduce power we are now in a magic place. Just coming up to our 6 yr anniversary since first panels installed. :D

The bigger battery though, absolutely pivotal in this endeavor.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 15MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

Joeboy wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:59 am We've seen the benefits of the larger capacity stack and larger solar net over the last couple of days. The net has harvested all it can and in marginal raining cloudy weather it has been enough coupled with flashes of fast charging.

The larger stack has stored it all and given us the confidence to leave the grid charge button switched off on the hybrid inverter. I know for sure that I'd have been tapping the grid by now in smaller stack times.

We are averaging 0.75kWh per day from grid and most of that is down to us. At 07.30hrs today in cloud cover we have 1.5kW incoming and 39% soc. The HWT is fully charged and there are 70 miles on EV.

Having run through the house multiple times over the years to reduce power we are now in a magic place. :D

The bigger battery though, pivotal in this endeavour.
Actually, now the V3 version of the 280k, The capacity is usually about 300ah
So the capacity is more than it expected !!

Also working on a new product, battery with inverter and EV charger all in one
Colin Deng(Batterycolin)
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
Email:guohed070@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-deng-2b4277238/
SimonSays

Post by SimonSays »

Saw this very pretty home storage over on Twitter
Seems to be based on the work by Dala, interfacing CANBUS between EV batteries and commercial inverters: https://github.com/dalathegreat/Battery-Emulator
It's HV DC (the EV packs remain sealed) and so you'd want to be very careful working around them. Probably not a big issue for those who are self installing PV.
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Batteries arrived 10 mins ago in the pouring rain.
Have yet to unbox or look at them, just stored them out of the rain. I will get round to it this weekend. Thanks Colin for such a speedy service.

Ive made progress on the plumbing and insulation side of things, but yet to start on the shed to house all of the battery equipment. I opted for a metal shed in the end, i insulat and sheath ithe inside in ply/cementboard for the gubbins to be installed.
Too busy at work with too many other projects going on to make my own from scratch, so just have a concrete base to mix up.
Expect a deluge of photos when ive fixed everything up. 👍
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That's great news, exciting times! The packaging is such that a bit of water won't be an issue. Each battery unit is fully encapsulated in about 2" foam. All the best in the build, it's great fun. 👍
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Well they are in my dilapidated, also need to be replaced main shed currently. The boxes wouldnt last long in this weather, so best stored inside asap.
I ordered the shed base materials over the weekend. Should be here end of the week. Just need the rain to ease for laying the slab, then the wind to ease for making the shed!

Then at least they can be put in their leak free permanent home. Even though im waiting on the enclosures, and the electrician!
Ive already talked myself into ordering another 15kw at some point. 🤣
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

NoraBatty wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:40 pm Well they are in my dilapidated, also need to be replaced main shed currently. The boxes wouldnt last long in this weather, so best stored inside asap.
I ordered the shed base materials over the weekend. Should be here end of the week. Just need the rain to ease for laying the slab, then the wind to ease for making the shed!

Then at least they can be put in their leak free permanent home. Even though im waiting on the enclosures, and the electrician!
Ive already talked myself into ordering another 15kw at some point. 🤣
Once you are in it and see the benefits it's hard not too. I started with 4.8kWh, a pair of Pylontechs. At 40kWh+ now We're at the Goldilocks place for this house.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

NoraBatty wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:25 am Batteries arrived 10 mins ago in the pouring rain.
Have yet to unbox or look at them, just stored them out of the rain. I will get round to it this weekend. Thanks Colin for such a speedy service.

Ive made progress on the plumbing and insulation side of things, but yet to start on the shed to house all of the battery equipment. I opted for a metal shed in the end, i insulat and sheath ithe inside in ply/cementboard for the gubbins to be installed.
Too busy at work with too many other projects going on to make my own from scratch, so just have a concrete base to mix up.
Expect a deluge of photos when ive fixed everything up. 👍
Good to know that the battery arrived!
Waiting for the system build

Thank you
Colin Deng(Batterycolin)
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
Email:guohed070@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-deng-2b4277238/
Andy

Post by Andy »

Mine arrived a day later :) The DPD driver was bemoaning the fact that all the heavy boxes were at the start of the day :lol: Thanks Colin. There are some much appreciated improvements to the packaging. Last time, the bolts and busbars did start little journeys around the packaging. Also, some serious contortions were required to get some of the batteries out of the foam. This time all the bolts/busbars are in a little packet keeping them together and the batteries are in little sleeves that makes them infinitely easier to remove from the foam. I've just disconnected all the Pylontech since they were just above 50% and am now slowly building the remaining stacks. Lots of crimping still do to, but at least all the wires are cut to the right lengths already.

I must concentrate more than last time. I ended up with the wrong lugs on a few wires and I don't have spares.
AGT

Post by AGT »

Apart from screwed rod and wooden boxes what are people using to prevent battery pack swelling.

Is kapton tape or similar used in commercial builds?

Just starting to get interested in battery building for a home battery, have experience with central battery inverters (I.e to connect up batteries that are effectively a live source)for emergency lighting with 6v lead acid cells but never used any BMS

Also wondering if anyone is familiar with formulae for flat copper bar busbars, as the commercial ones I see that have rating
https://www.cablecraft.co.uk/8-way-earth-bar-815amp

The calculation comes in way lower than the 815 amps?

Cheers for your time