Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

nowty

Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by nowty »

It goes without saying the UK leccy grid and storage needs much improvement, but sometimes the energy stats speak for themselves and it does not include how much fossil fuel is being burnt in domestic houses and ICE car use.

Its midsummer and we are still burning 46% gas, do me a favour. :evil:

Whilst here at Nowty Towers, even without the benefit of 15% of Nuclear, and including our EV car use, and including my domestic gas use, and with 3 poor solar days forecast I am still confident of 99+ % of my own continuous solar / storage power supply. Yesterdays decent yield has home battery full, hot water full and EV full. :mrgreen:

I shall report back on Wed to see if my prediction worked out correct and I'll even include out how much gas in kWh's I have used. :twisted:

Last edited by nowty on Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Joeboy

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by Joeboy »

Ahem. Doing my bit.

Well done on staying away from grid. I find the real joy in this ame not to be the easy days when it's splitting the skies but instead the days when you've got to slide it around a bit to avoid grid. That's the fun part. :)

Stack is sitting at 83% soc and rising, solar cooked curry is bubbling away, just out the solar shower for a cold solar chilled beer. What a quality of life we have to give up to be green...
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

And if Budweiser is not to your taste, they do other brands, although not sure which ones are actually brewed at the Welsh wind powered one. There are a few bottles of Corona in my fridge for tomorrows nights football match. Its going to be a bit difficult here at Nowty Towers, as the stepdaughter is marrying an Italian and SWMBO even named her daughter after a famous Italian footballer.

So its just me and the cat up for England. :shock:

http://www.renewablefuture.com/
In 2016, we made a commitment to brew every Budweiser with 100% renewable electricity by 2025. Since then, we have partnered with vendors across the world to create $1B in renewable electricity infrastructure, which included the largest Pan European corporate solar power deal in history. Our solar farm in Wales was part of that deal and generates enough renewable electricity to brew over a billion Budweiser’s a year.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Carbon count on my beer, i'm losing it!

Buona Fortuna tomorrow to all concerned. It's been a nice change from Covid in the news.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

And I forgot to mention that early this morning at 1am, (9pm in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) it was the football final of the Copa America. Equivalent of the European cup for the Americas and it was live on BBC1.

SHMBO is Brazilian, and it was Brazil v Argentina in the final. So as you can imagine we were both up for Brazil but unfortunately Argentina won 1 - 0 after an early goal. :(

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Update on the Nowty Towers vs UK Grid (Sat to Tue) 4 days.

Nowty Towers consumption of 97 kWh of which grid import was 0.65 kWh so my forecast of 99%+ of Solar + Batts was correct. Even with sub optimal solar resource, the batteries remained over 50% SOC the whole time.

Whilst the UK Grid used an average of 40+ % of gas the whole time, so the UK grid has been way over 200g / kWh compared to my 1.3g / kWh.

OK, I did use 3.8 kWh of gas import for the gas hob and one dirty diesel trip to the dentist of 8.6 kWh and that was only an 8 miles round trip. Pretty shocking compared to an EV, even if it came from the grid. There was another 9 kWh consumption from the EV but that was already charged from the solar and we did about 35 miles on that.

If I could get access to my pension fund now like I was promised over 30 years ago a long range Tesla would already be on order to dump the dirty diesel.

Not sure about dumping the gas hob though, I hate electric cooking.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:17 am I hate electric cooking.
I used to be the same but induction has converted me. All the heat goes into the pan (rather than the room), quick to react, easy to clean, powerful...

What’s not to love?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:47 am
nowty wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:17 am I hate electric cooking.
I used to be the same but induction has converted me. All the heat goes into the pan (rather than the room), quick to react, easy to clean, powerful...

What’s not to love?
Yes, I understand all that but,
  • Well technically, I am concerned about max power draw which would exceed my battery inverter limit so I would import more leccy at peak rate.
  • And when I did watch someone using one (the head chef were I used to work), it regularly cut out when the guy moved the pan and he had to do some sort of reset each time.
  • Reviews of them I have read have been very variable.
  • The gas I use for cooking is only about 1 kWh per day.
  • I use the residual heat of the hob for heating my dinner plates.
I occasionally think about just buying a single ring to, "have a go", as most of my pans are induction friendly.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Ikea do single ones Nowty. (for a dabble) £35 in the sale ending imminently

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tillreda-p ... -70493503/

& double (£70)
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tillreda-p ... -90497166/

I grew up with COAL fed AGA's & Gas Aga's.
I hate electric & gas "box" ovens because of the total lack of insulation.
I replaced an electric hob that we don't use the other year due to plastic / switched on in error, that hob lasted 4 uses (electrolux / on of their other brands)
Use the Instantpot & the sous vide wand far more than anything else, both being very low energy.

The sous vide (anova) has wifi, & phone app which dials in recipes, I have placed a silicone lid with a tight cut out to keep moisture & heat in, as a result it heats very rapidly & stays warm for hours with minimal input from the heating element, ramps up heating efficiency & water evaporation is no more, I tend to cook below 65c
(In summer, the water stands for 5 days at room temp, so often the starting temp is 24c+ ..pleasingly minimal temp raising, sealed bags so not a problem, water then used for plants / mop water)
We have the 6 L & 8 Litre instantpot which also have a saute mode with multiple heat levels.
We only use a hob to butter caramelise & char meat, (30 seconds or so)

I only got a replacement hob to fill the hole the old one left (however the fact that it doesn't work properly from new) due to naff design & poor construction makes for an expensive worktop.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:16 pm
I only got a replacement hob to fill the hole the old one left (however the fact that it doesn't work properly from new) due to naff design & poor construction makes for an expensive worktop.
Like toasters that the bread doesn't fit in!!
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW