external battery enclosure

openspaceman

external battery enclosure

Post by openspaceman »

Has anyone housed a battery other than a Tesla outside?

We have a problem of where and how to house 3 off Pylontech 3000 at my Daughter's semi detached house, there is barely enough room inside by the consumer unit for the solis hybrid inverter but no room for the battery.

Looking at various outdoor cabinets and meter boxes I cannot see anything that can surface mount onto the wall to contain three batteries face up side by side so as not to intrude into the side passageway. It would need to be about 1.5m long 0.2m deep and 0.5m high and sit above an external sloping soil pipe.

This avoids having any part of the PV system needing to enter the loft and keeps the battery close to the inverter on the opposite side of the wall.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Swwils

Re: external battery enclosure

Post by Swwils »

Temperature would be the biggest concern!
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Yes I had thought ventilation louvres would be sufficient else a thermostat and fan in the enclosure.

Given the 2020 uk gov report deprecating having battery venting into a living space I am surprised this has not come up before.

The installer says they have done an external enclosure before but it was supplied by the customer and they have no record of it.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

You see lots of aircon units supported on brackets on office and factory walls, so could it be more cuboidal and sit on a good strong shelf well above head height? It could be strong enough to lean a ladder against it for installing and for future access...
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

The battery needs to be very close to the inverter. So moving both to the attic would be the first choice. I’ve seen plenty of installs where the batteries/inverter are housed in an outdoor lean-to enclosure. However the charge rate of the batteries drops when they get too cold so outdoors would really only be if there was no other choice.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Our batteries and inverter are fitted in a small outbuilding, in a very shady location that barely gets any sunlight. Despite that the inverter was getting very hot, so I added an extractor fan wired up to a plug in thermostat. That helps a bit but I still regularly see the inverter hit over 50°C. As above, I think any sort of small enclosure would need more than just some vents, it would almost certainly need a cooling fan as well to flow enough air through it.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

OGB the inverter will be fine next to the consumer unit in the under stairs utility cupboard. There is no space for the batteries too, which is why I'm hoping they can go on the other side of the wall and outside.

It's on the south coast so doesn't get very cold but at what point will the battery lose performance?
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

How does a duplicate services meter enclosure figure for space as a solution starter for 10?
Ie, forget the meter backboard, how much depth do you have available to cut out bricks, insulate, seal lock in ventilated kit in the precise area giving you the problem?

Logic says you need better security for it than a meter cupboard key but the area itself may present the solution?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:01 am The battery needs to be very close to the inverter. So moving both to the attic would be the first choice. I’ve seen plenty of installs where the batteries/inverter are housed in an outdoor lean-to enclosure. However the charge rate of the batteries drops when they get too cold so outdoors would really only be if there was no other choice.
Yes I understand the battery needs to be close, I thought this was because of I2R losses at the lower voltage.

When it is cold the PV will not be producing much.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Mr Gus wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:56 am How does a duplicate services meter enclosure figure for space as a solution starter for 10?
Ie, forget the meter backboard, how much depth do you have available to cut out bricks, insulate, seal lock in ventilated kit in the precise area giving you the problem?

Logic says you need better security for it than a meter cupboard key but the area itself may present the solution?
There is no exterior meter box cover presently but yes it should be possible to cut in one leaf of bricks and cavity with a lintel over to gain 6" of depth and heat loss from the house would keep temperature up. Security is an issue either way.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage