LuxPower - emergency backup enabling

Lincs Robert

LuxPower - emergency backup enabling

Post by Lincs Robert »

Hi,

So, with all this talk of possible power cuts, I was wondering what I need to do re enabling the EPS outputs on my Lux units. I have a pair of ACS LXP 3600 ac coupled units, configured in master slave mode, each having their own stack of Pylontech batteries.

I’m assuming that there will be config to be done (can I do it myself?), plus cabling of some form.

Has anyone done it?

Thanks - Rob
SafetyThird

Re: LuxPower - emergency backup enabling

Post by SafetyThird »

I installed my squirrel pod recently with EPS enabled. I have all the house lighting circuits and a couple of the socket circuits fed from a separate small consumer unit which is connected to the EPS output. In the inverter config it's a simple setting change to turn on EPS functionality.

Cabling you'd need to have a qualified person do as it's grid stuff. I got my pet sparky to do add the EPS consumer unit while he was doing the grid wiring for the inverter, all the battery side stuff and mounting the inverter etc I did myself and he checked it.

Last week, western power were doing work locally and we were without power for 6 hours, my wife was working at her computer doing zoom calls and didn't even notice, so I call that one a win.

Be aware that you're limited to 16A draw off the eps circuits. I have monitoring on each circuit and can see what we're using on each in real time. I'm adding the kitchen sockets to the EPS box so we can use the toaster or microwave and keep the fridge running, that gives us a way to make simple meals during any outage before firing up the wood stoves and cooking on those.

I'm very pleased with the setup.
6kw PV (24 x REC Solar AS REC 250PE)
Clausius 5-25kw GSHP
Luxpower Squirrel Pod
Pylontech 21kwh
Eddi Diverter
250l hot water tank with two immersions
2 x Woodwarm wood burning stoves
7 acres of old coppice woodland
Ripple Energy Kirk Hill 3.8kw
Caesium

Post by Caesium »

Enabling EPS on the Luxpower units is very easy - you can do it all from the front panel.

I think it's in the manual, literally a couple of button presses to turn it on/off which can be done in seconds.
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Thanks chaps 👍

Can you advise whether the two outputs need to be treated totally separately? That’s what I’m assuming - i.e NOT joined together?

I’ll have a ponder. Cheers
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Lincs Robert wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:20 pm Thanks chaps 👍

Can you advise whether the two outputs need to be treated totally separately? That’s what I’m assuming - i.e NOT joined together?

I’ve found the “Power Backup” setting in the Application Setting area of the website. Is this the same as the “Power Backup Enable” on the app on my iPad. I’m assuming so as it’s also in the application setting area. I also know that assumptions can be dangerous!

Cheers
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Lincs Robert wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:20 pm Thanks chaps 👍

Almost certainly they will have to be kept separate. See also this thread for a discussion of UPS circuit requirements viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1290&start=80.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels in S Devon, ~3.9 MWh/year
8 x 405W Longi panels, 3.355 MWh/yr projected
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 with 250/60 MPPT
3 x Pylontec 3.55 kWh Force-L2
zappi 7kW EV charger
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Yes, the EPS is completely separate. I have EPS circuits on a separate consumer unit. The grid connection to the inverter comes from the main consumer unit and feeds the EPS circuit. If the grid supply is cut, it automagically switches the EPS output from the grid input to the battery output, takes a fraction of a second, although I have small UPS boxes on all my computer equipment and the server rack which also feeds the BT fibre modem so that there's no glitches.
6kw PV (24 x REC Solar AS REC 250PE)
Clausius 5-25kw GSHP
Luxpower Squirrel Pod
Pylontech 21kwh
Eddi Diverter
250l hot water tank with two immersions
2 x Woodwarm wood burning stoves
7 acres of old coppice woodland
Ripple Energy Kirk Hill 3.8kw
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

Can anybody comment about the earthing arrangements when using the EPS output please. Does the Earth go “straight through”?

Thanks - Rob
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

You cannot rely on the distributors earth nor any PME.

In practical terms they now require a consumer earth rod.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Lincs Robert wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:34 pm Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

Can anybody comment about the earthing arrangements when using the EPS output please. Does the Earth go “straight through”?

Thanks - Rob
Latest info here,
https://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-ma ... e-systems/
15.2kW PV > 101MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3