WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Re: Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

Post by nowty »

Signups here,
https://octopus.energy/saving-sessions/

A Saving Session is a short time (usually one to four hours) when you'll earn rewards called OctoPoints for using less electricity than usual. OctoPoints can be turned into prizes, donations to our Octo Assist fund for customers in need, or cold hard cash. We'd expect an average home's rewards over winter to be worth around £36 overall, but could be up to £100.

And there will be mystery prizes. ;)
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Sadly because of the great October weather we have mainly been on battery during the day and evenings! As they are using the last 20 days data to assess how much you have turned off we would have to be a minus figure! Or am I not getting this?
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

NikoV6 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:29 pm Sadly because of the great October weather we have mainly been on battery during the day and evenings! As they are using the last 20 days data to assess how much you have turned off we would have to be a minus figure! Or am I not getting this?
Same here. We've only used 2kWh of peak rate electricity (from 06:30 to 11:30 UTC each day) over the past three months. On average we've used roughly 0.02kWh per day at the peak rate, so that would be the very most we could save. In reality I expect the saving would be a great deal less than that. If we made as much as £1 from this sort of initiative over the winter period I'd be surprised, TBH.

Moot point for us, anyway, due to the lack of any sort of working smart meter capability here. Perhaps it makes sense to target high energy users like this, but I can't help but feel that those of us that have invested heavily, using our own money, to reduce our peak rate usage are getting a bit of a raw deal. We've been doing the "right thing" and providing a useful benefit to the grid, yet will get no reward at all. Seems a bit awry for those that have been profligate with their energy consumption until now to be able to benefit from it.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Post by nowty »

How do you work out my typical energy use ?

We’ll look at your historical smart meter data leading up to a Session, and calculate what you usually use at that time of day, on average.

If the Session is on a weekday, we’ll look at your half-hourly usage over the last 10 weekdays (excluding saving session days). If the Session is on a weekend, we’ll look at your half hourly usage over the last 4 weekend days. These half hourly averages are then subject to an ‘In Day Adjustment’ which will make adjustments based on how much energy you’ve used on the day of the session.

We then use these adjusted half-hourly averages as a benchmark – so you’ll earn points for every kilowatt hour you save during your Session.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

NikoV6 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:29 pm Sadly because of the great October weather we have mainly been on battery during the day and evenings! As they are using the last 20 days data to assess how much you have turned off we would have to be a minus figure! Or am I not getting this?
Last year there were several overnight sessions, so it sometimes benefits us solar and battery folk. And the rounding errors meant I saved some money on every single event.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:44 pm
Last year there were several overnight sessions, so it sometimes benefits us solar and battery folk. And the rounding errors meant I saved some money on every single event.
It's a good idea, glad to be a part of good 💡 In saying that it will be slim pickings as we already live that life. :)
Mystery prizes though! :twisted:
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Caesium

Post by Caesium »

First session has been announced. Tomorrow, 15th November 5pm-6pm.

Emails should be going out but if you've not received one, you can still opt-in via your Octopus Energy dashboard link.

£2.25 per kWh saved!
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Caesium wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:49 pm First session has been announced. Tomorrow, 15th November 5pm-6pm.

Emails should be going out but if you've not received one, you can still opt-in via your Octopus Energy dashboard link.

£2.25 per kWh saved!
How did you get on? I was “not eligible” they didn’t say way though, just “computer says no”.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Caesium

Post by Caesium »

I had an email a couple of weeks back inviting me to it - was basically just click the link and done.

I didn't think there were many acceptance criteria though, just have a smart meter really? Maybe worth phoning them to see if you can get enrolled?

Once you're enrolled into it you still need to specifically opt-in to each session though which seems a bit odd. Probably just a bit of penny pinching so they can avoid paying people who don't bother to opt-in to every session.