Solis 5kW Hybrid inverter

openspaceman

Solis 5kW Hybrid inverter

Post by openspaceman »

Some while back someone mentioned their hybrid inverter would still charge the battery via the panels during a power cut, meaning the emergency power supply would remain available during the power cut and any PV generation would top it up, even though isolated from the grid automatically.

My daughter's supplier, who is fitting her system next week, says this is not the case with the proposed Solis 5kW Hybrid inverter and the battery will not be charging during a daytime power cut.

Anyone know for sure?

PS
After a brief search

"The new Solis 5kW 5G Hybrid inverter range that support power for important loads during load shedding as well as saving power during peak demands. Making this the ideal solution you always wanted."

I think load shedding means a power cut???
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
marshman

Re: Solis 5kW Hybrid inverter

Post by marshman »

Yes it will.

For it to work you just have to enable "back up" power in the menus and, of course, use the EPS output of the inverter. It will then draw power from the PV first, then the batteries. If the load is less than what the PV can provide the excess PV will charge the batteries. If batteries are fully charged and house load is low the inverter simply "throttles back" the PV.
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Yes the Solis will charge its batteries during a power cut. In fact as far as I know EVERY hybrid inverter will do this.

Unfortunately the vast majority of installers haven’t got a clue what they’re talking about. They strap the panels to the roof, the inverter to the wall, hook it all up, fill out the forms, and FO. No knowledge of how it all actually works is acquired or required in this process.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Brilliant, thanks Roger and Stinsy
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

The inverter, 3x pylontech 3000 and zappi were finally connected today at my daughter's, 17:20 so only generated 0.1kWh, I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

The installing electrcian would not install the EMS, company policy because of earthing problems (which were discussed here last year).

Unfortunately he disconnected the Rolec EV charger AND its earth rod as he installed the Zappi. As things were late my daughter could only connect the car after he left and the Zappi failed to charge with (she says) a DC fault.

I have logged on to her solis cloud account but it seems very basic and nothing showing for the pylontechs.

As soon as she has the MCS certificate we will look to move to Octopus for an off peak tariff.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nowty

Post by nowty »

openspaceman wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:56 pm The inverter, 3x pylontech 3000 and zappi were finally connected today at my daughter's, 17:20 so only generated 0.1kWh, I wonder what tomorrow will bring.
Tomorrow is going to be a 2023 PB here, wall to wall sunshine forecast. :twisted:

Most of UK looks good too. :mrgreen:
15.2kW PV > 101MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Yes it should be good and hoping for at least 8kWh, which is average daily consumption, and a bit more for the battery.

I was there yesterday before the electrician arrived and made use of the scaffold to wipe seagull crap off the panels. This is a problem I had not anticipated and will be difficult to deal with in the future.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

marshman wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:46 pm Yes the Solis Cloud is pretty basic. It should show the S.O.C. of the Pylon batteries and also give you pretty pictures of the amount you have charged and discharged, totals for import and export to the grid etc. It is not the most intuitive app but it is "adequate". You will also get "alarm" notifications if you are running the app on a phone rather than accessing Solis cloud over the web on a laptop/PC.

If they installed the latest S3 WiFi datalogging stick, you can put in a request to Solis to give you access to control the inverter from the app. This allows you to set charge and discharge times and current. This is useful if the inverter is hard to access.
Well I hope they set it up to be largely self tending as she does not have time to faff about with it.

I would like a bit of information about preventing the pylontech from discharging when the EV is charging off peak.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

nowty wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:14 pm
openspaceman wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:56 pm The inverter, 3x pylontech 3000 and zappi were finally connected today at my daughter's, 17:20 so only generated 0.1kWh, I wonder what tomorrow will bring.
Tomorrow is going to be a 2023 PB here, wall to wall sunshine forecast. :twisted:

Most of UK looks good too. :mrgreen:
Cloudy in Mid Wales! :cry:
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost