EV Battery Pack as battery storage

NikoV6

EV Battery Pack as battery storage

Post by NikoV6 »

Recent twitter thread highlighted the sale of battery packs out of crashed EVs

I suspect this will become more common as EV adoption increases.

How difficult do we think it would be to convert one for local storage at home? Issues with thermal management spring to mind?
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Mr Gus

Re: EV Battery Pack as battery storage

Post by Mr Gus »

We had a very early adopter member at st elsewhere from Gnor-wai who put leaf batteries on rolling stacks & ran his house with a bit of solar also.
Last heard converting his boat along the same lines & taking to the seas on a grand tour.
(he used pre-existing leaf software) ..t'was early days awesome!
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Quite a few commercial stationary battery storage solutions are using second life EV traction batteries in them so this is entirely feasible.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Powervault used to offer “second life” Renault Zoe batteries packaged up. I’m not sure if they still do or not though. I had a Powervault system, albeit only for a few weeks in early 2019, but not with these second life batteries - which I seem to recall weren’t much cheaper than new. I parted ways with them due to their inability to work with the mains voltage at my location. It wasn’t out of spec high, but higher than their European sourced charger/inverter unit could handle. They offered a solution, which wasn’t acceptable to me and the system was removed and my money refunded.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Depends on the EV.

A mate dropped the pack on his LEAF and replaced a failed battery module. He did the job on his drive. I only got a quick look at the dud, but the main connectors are standard bolts (maybe M10) and there is a connector that gives access to each cell for measurement/balancing. These could effortlessly be repurposed into stationary applications. I’ve hear the Jag and VW group packs are similar.

Tesla on the other hand can only be shredded for recycling.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)