UK Wholesale Energy Market

Yuff

Re: UK Wholesale Energy Market

Post by Yuff »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:20 am The Gov needs to be very careful in its reforms. Basically they are playing with the law of supply and demand to protect the customer and hence them voting them out.

They need to look forward as the scene is going to be very different in the future eg imagine all the EVs with V2G and the peaks and troughs of solar and wind.

I am not sure that the present system is broke and needs fixing after all it does give us what could be the most reliable system in the world.
V2H and V2G are huge game changers for home users but surely as most have done on here and as DFS, this winter showed, consumers can help manage peaks and troughs so surely increasing capacity and storage is the way forward to minimise disruptions.
Energy is a basic need in todays world and customers should be able to access as much renewable energy as possible at affordable prices.
Surely that’s a given in todays world.
No one should have to think whether they can turn their heating on in December because they can’t afford it!
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 3 170 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV
Mart

Post by Mart »

Just to say, at the moment national Grid Live is showing a super low carbon intensity of 88g/kWh, and a price of -£25/MWh (yes minus).

Sticking with all the info and advice from Nowty, I see that wind and PV are generating well (~60%), demand is low (sunny Sunday moning) and gas has been pushed down to 5.28GW, so I assume the CCGT's that are running, are hoping for demand to pick up, or RE to fall.

More fun to watch now that I understand it a bit better. Many thanks again Nowty.

LOL, just refreshed (so 30mins later) and the price is now £105/MWh.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

"Energy is a basic need in todays world and customers should be able to access as much renewable energy as possible at affordable prices."

Is not how a grid works at a very base level. You are correct that access to cheap energy is the fundamental cornerstone of civilization.

The reforms will be slow because they just got finished with the last lot of changes that everyone remembers and did not enjoy the process of.

Nodal pricing will get ALOT of pushback from these large green projects because they will finally have their gravy train shut off.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mart wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:50 am Just to say, at the moment national Grid Live is showing a super low carbon intensity of 88g/kWh, and a price of -£25/MWh (yes minus).

Sticking with all the info and advice from Nowty, I see that wind and PV are generating well (~60%), demand is low (sunny Sunday moning) and gas has been pushed down to 5.28GW, so I assume the CCGT's that are running, are hoping for demand to pick up, or RE to fall.

More fun to watch now that I understand it a bit better. Many thanks again Nowty.

LOL, just refreshed (so 30mins later) and the price is now £105/MWh.
Now we are a few hours later, you can see that dip to negative you mentioned earlier.

15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Ken

Post by Ken »

Plus there was significant curtailment of wind on sunday.
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

In Germany you also had an afternoon with very little conventional power in the grid, which required a deep evening ramp up. We lost a CCGT during this and since border trading had closed intraday price pegged at 9999.

mFRR activated, oil burning bids. Eventual balancing price € 10.789,52.

This is only going to become more common.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Yeah I read about that on Twitter this morning - i follow the EnAppSys account there which is often very interesting!
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
nowty

Post by nowty »

For info, mFRR is the manual Frequency Restoration Reserve that helps to stabilize the frequency of the electricity grid.
https://www.next-kraftwerke.com/knowledge/mfrr
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

In Italy they call it "Tuesdays" lol.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Latest thinking about UK wholesale leccy prices by Cornwall Insight until 2030, no real surprises from their last update.

https://www.cornwall-insight.com/press/ ... ate-2030s/

Cornwall Insight has unveiled its latest GB Power Market Outlook to 2030, revealing that power prices in Great Britain will not shift below pre-2022 levels until the late 2030s. The report cites the surging demand for power as the main driver behind this trend, as the move to electric heating and transport over the next decade places increasing pressure on the grid.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3