So how is Highview Power’s cryogenic energy storage project getting on.

Stan

So how is Highview Power’s cryogenic energy storage project getting on.

Post by Stan »

AE-NMidlands

Re: So how is Highview Power’s cryogenic energy storage project getting on.

Post by AE-NMidlands »

It sounds very promising - at last! But how on earth could a local authority be so perplexed that it couldn't see how to approve such a relatively low-risk plant in an area that has historically been a home to the chemical industry?
Looking at https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carri ... ?entry=ttu it does look as though the industrial area is spreading out onto "greenfield" land (if you can call bog reclaimed by tipping nightsoil "green!")
It's also good to heear that another couple are being planned near areas with plenty of wind turbines.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

There might be objections, requiring investigation, re living/working adjacent to several tonnes of what may be liquid nitrogen?
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Oliver90owner wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:25 am There might be objections, requiring investigation, re living/working adjacent to several tonnes of what may be liquid nitrogen?
It's not far from a power station and a paper mill, and I'm sure that a big area used to be an oil refinery... I wouldn't think that a big tank of liquid nitrogen would be particularly dangerous (compared with flammable gas storage,) not that I would want to be in a big leak of it. Hot and cold receivers too, but they seem to be solid-state and relatively low-risk.
I can think of lots of housing closer to far nastier stuff. But the point made in the video is that the council couldn't see how to approve it within current rules, not that it was too dangerous considering its location.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!