What tariff?

openspaceman

Re: What tariff?

Post by openspaceman »

Beau wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:47 am
We have a FIT tied 3.6 kWh PV system generating around 3400 kWh a year
I guess your inverter is not a hybrid one then? Mine isn't so when I decided to add a battery the installer fitted an ac coupled one (details in sig).

Someone else will probably correct me but I allow a notional 7p/kWh and 80% charge discharge efficiency for the cost of storing electricity in the battery. I am still on a 50% deemed export on my FIT as Octopus have not managed to remove me from the FIT deemed export and provide me with an export MPAN for my smart meter. It is largely moot because I do not have an EV so am not entitled to join the Intelligent Octopus and the Octopus outgoing (yet). I am actually quite happy using only my low carbon electricity 8 months of the year.

In your case you can and the 7.5p/kWh for 6?? hours will benefit your driving costs greatly. I am not sure how one would match these variable 6 hours of cheap rate to firing up your heat pump but the thermal inertia of an underfloor system will still benefit you during the day.

My daughter has an EV and has the 9p/kWh rate for 4 fixed hours just after midnight but this incurs a higher rate of 31p/kWh outside of the off peak 4 hours (a 2p/kWh penalty over a standard tariff) so I remotely set her 10kWh home battery to charge off peak sufficiently for it to carry here through to the next off peak period, until the sun starts shining.

Worse case in the absence of solar PV in the winter months I calculate:

10kWh charged at 9p/kWh plus battery cost at 7p/kWh divided by 80% cycle efficiency =10*(9+7)/0.8=200p

So her electricity cost is 20p/kWh, about a 9p/kWh overall saving compared with a standard tariff and of course during the summer months she gets all her electricity at no costs above the capital expenditure.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
pudding

Post by pudding »

Just had an email from Octopus informing of the new lower rates from April. I'm on the Cosy tariff, so the standard rate is following Flexible and going from 28 - 24p/kWh. The added bonus though is that they're changing the discount and premium rates, so the discounted double dip slots will be discounted 51% now rather than 40%, and the pricy peak slot bump is dropping from 60% down to 45% extra, so these are now going from 17 to 11.8p/kWh and 45 to 35p/kWh. Nice bit of extra good news. :)
4kW array w/Fronius | 3.51kW & 3.28kW arrays w/Sunsynk 3.6kW hybrid | 6 x Pylon US3000C
8kW GSHP/MVHR/5kW A2A HP/ Ripple- KH & DW & P4 on the way :D
Beau

Post by Beau »

Thanks all for the input.

I have signed up for Agile but we will see how it goes as changing tariffs seems pretty easy with Octopus.

If I install batteries I can see IOG is a no-brainer but the low-tech heat pump with no buffer will almost always run outside the cheap rate period and it uses as much as my prediction for the EV. On Agile I can manually stop the heat pump from running during the peak period

Adam did an interesting talk on the subject of tariffs for heat pumps

AGT

Post by AGT »

To the OP, could you. It do anything to automate the heat pump?
Shelly devices/switchbot’s?
Beau

Post by Beau »

AGT wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:11 pm To the OP, could you. It do anything to automate the heat pump?
I had made an embarrassing discovery today........It can be programmed!

I found the manual which has not been looked at for years. It has a setback timer for variable tariffs so it's going to make things much easier on Agile
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Beau wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:38 pm
AGT wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:11 pm To the OP, could you. It do anything to automate the heat pump?
I had made an embarrassing discovery today........It can be programmed!

I found the manual which has not been looked at for years. It has a setback timer for variable tariffs so it's going to make things much easier on Agile
If all else fails, read the manual :facepalm: :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf