Frankenstein breaker question …….

Lincs Robert

Frankenstein breaker question …….

Post by Lincs Robert »

Hi,

I’ve got a detailed question regarding the Frankenstein fuse/isolators that some of us have used with our Chinese stacks.

I’m going to reroute some of my DC cables and am thinking of having 2 cables connected to both the pos & neg “outputs” of the Frankenstein that connects to my Lux ACS unit. At the moment I have only one cable on each.

I suspect that some of you have already done this as evidenced by some pics - if I recall?

I recall that the bolts are of a good length, but are there any issues connecting two M8 crimps where there was previously only one connected before?

Comments/observations welcomed.

Thanks - Rob
sharpener

Re: Frankenstein breaker question …….

Post by sharpener »

Make sure they are rotated so they lie flat and there is a good contact area between them. You may be better off with the bottom one upside down. Judicious use of plain or spring washers may be helpful. I have got double M8 crimps on the output terms of my Victron inverter with no problems.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels in S Devon, ~3.9 MWh/year
8 x 405W Longi panels, 3.355 MWh/yr projected
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 with 250/60 MPPT
3 x Pylontec 3.55 kWh Force-L2
zappi 7kW EV charger
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

sharpener wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:20 pm Make sure they are rotated so they lie flat and there is a good contact area between them. You may be better off with the bottom one upside down. Judicious use of plain or spring washers may be helpful. I have got double M8 crimps on the output terms of my Victron inverter with no problems.
Thanks, I must admit that turning the lower one upside down did occur to me once I’d looked at the datasheet.👍
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

Lincs Robert wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:43 pm Hi,

I’ve got a detailed question regarding the Frankenstein fuse/isolators that some of us have used with our Chinese stacks.

I’m going to reroute some of my DC cables and am thinking of having 2 cables connected to both the pos & neg “outputs” of the Frankenstein that connects to my Lux ACS unit. At the moment I have only one cable on each.
The Mersen ones I have use a mounting plate, I think it was threaded, but you could still use the bolt with a nut on the rear to mount a lug on both sides of the plate, or even drill the thread out to make it easier to tighten the rear nut. I attached a small cable with lug on the rear of one plate for the my inverter pre-charge resistor circuit.

P.S. Don't use washers in between the lug and main contact plate, if the dual cables are both sharing the same load, they need to be exactly the same length and type.

You can just see the mounting plates with space above and below in this photo.

38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6