Please help me with battery options and business case

Gareth J

Re: Please help me with battery options and business case

Post by Gareth J »

Pressure wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:16 pm

Not sure if solar production is bad - it’s sheffield, with trees and houses limiting insolation.
That probably explains it, I expect, roughly 1000kWh per kW of panels installed on a south facing, unshaded, sensible pitch roof. But all the things you mention will be nibbling into that.

Presuming a multi string setup, you could check, on your inverter, the string voltages/amperages of the different strings on a clear, unshaded part of a day. Should be close to on another and a significant difference might indicate a problem with one of the panels.

But if that's been the output from year zero, it's probably fine.
John_S

Post by John_S »

when the ASHP has failed in the past it’s taken a couple of weeks for us to actually notice.

The heat pump is on a little-and-often cycle, so there is consumption at peak periods.
This seems contradictory. My understanding is that heat pumps don't like a lot of cycling on and off. Can you try increasing the delta between off and on to prevent excessive cycling? Perhaps have a timer - all of the your TOU low rate plus a couple of hours later in the day if required.
However I don’t know what the actual power usage of the ASHP, which is pathetic, but it’s hard to know what to install to measure it (or where to put the ct clamps of a monitor…).
One way to do this is to get a secondhand non-smart electricity meter and wire it inline into the heat pump supply. Sure, you have to read it manually, but it is fool proof.
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

However the ASHP feeds UFH in concrete floors across the whole house, everything is a heat store - when the ASHP has failed in the past it’s taken a couple of weeks for us to actually notice.

However I don’t know what the actual power usage of the ASHP, which is pathetic, but it’s hard to know what to install to measure it (or where to put the ct clamps of a monitor…).
I have been trying to answer similar questions prior to getting an HP installed. As you can see from my sig there is quite a lot of kit already.

Your existing thermal storage (slab) is by far the cheapest form of energy storage and by the sound of it will carry you across the 3 hr peak periods. And meets your other criterion <Reliable manufacturer with a good support network - I need this device to be supported in 7 to 10 years time>.

So have you tried setting the HP to switch off at peak times and see if the result is acceptable?

Next cheapest is storage as hot water, do you have any scope for more of this? I am planning a 215 litre thermal store but even so the payback is 12 years if you assume 20% electricity tariff inflation see this thread.

Batteries are the most expensive option of the lot. Not least because of the limited lifespan. We settled on 10.65kWh; the financially optimal size was only 7.1 but it was running out annoyingly often in winter. Now we charge it on E7 from 0000 to 0700 to a level which depends on the next day's weather forecast and it mostly lasts until midnight. But we have a lot more solar PV and cook on an AGA in winter. So 13kWh may well be the sweet spot for you.

Here is an overview of my annual usage, there is a lot more detail here.

Yes an external meter is the only reliable way to measure actual HP consumption, I have fitted a 1-module DIN rail mounted one in my CU for £40.

Other ppl on here have got good results by going to either Cosy or Intelligent Octopus Go, worth investigating also.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels in S Devon, ~3.9 MWh/year
8 x 405W Longi panels, 3.355 MWh/yr projected
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 with 250/60 MPPT
3 x Pylontec 3.55 kWh Force-L2
zappi 7kW EV charger
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Pressure

Post by Pressure »

Excellent and interesting ideas @sharpener.
We have a honking big hot water tank at IIRC 45 degrees. I must check when the heat pump is set to produce hot water. No room for a bigger tank sadly.

Thus far all advice has been to run the ASHP continually because more efficient to maintain heat in the slab than get it up to temperature. I may ask my architect wife what the latest thinking is, she’s an academic and has lots of renewable engineers and researchers to draw on. Thus far their consensus has been to run the heat pump little and often.

That is impressively low consumption and incredible generation you have in your system!
Pressure

Post by Pressure »

Many thanks for the Pylontech suggestion @joeboy. What hybrid inverter options might be worthwhile?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Pressure wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:05 am Many thanks for the Pylontech suggestion @joeboy. What hybrid inverter options might be worthwhile?
We have a goodwe 3600sbp hybrid inverter fitted and it has been fine. The WiFi dongle went intermittent on it for a while and goodwe sent a new one to me unasked for. The unit was 6 years old by then and well out of warranty. If anything I'd rather have had a 5kW unit fitted instead of a 3.6kW but I didn't know that back then.

There are loads of good inverter manufacturers out there. Look for reliability, high efficiency, a decent app/graphic and good tech support.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Ken

Post by Ken »

"little and often" , I take it you mean on and off often as against a little on -low setting for long periods.

No HP should be run in a on/of cycling mode. Besides this being bad for the wear and tear it is also inefficient.
It is good to run at the low temps perhaps even lower than the 35C you have.
It should have a temp range in which to operate say +/- 1-2C so that it does not keep cycling. Is your HP modern enough that it modulates down to low setting ?
Personally with your well insulated house, good thermal mass and under floor slab i would only heat the slab during off peak/night hours. I only have the central heating on in the morning the thermal mass,occupation and solar gain doing the rest during the day except for "beast from the east" moments. Same for the HW.
PS i swiched my CH off yesterday and its not a Eco house by a long way just middle of the road

Your solar is not achieving its potential because of shading. A little bit of shading unfortunately affects the whole system. Perhaps it is too late in your case but this system shoiuld have been fitted with micro inverters on each panel.
Pressure

Post by Pressure »

Thanks again for the advice everyone.
:)
Yes, the solar has micro inverters, which help.

And yes, the ASHP is on low constantly, it’s never “switched off”.

Ideally I’d like a battery with a charge rate of 6 to 7 kw, just to ensure I grab as much cheap import as possible, hence looking at the Givenergy AIO. More expensive, and integrated, but fast charging, good octopus integration and “one butt to kick”.