Battery placement

NoraBatty

Battery placement

Post by NoraBatty »

Current inverter is in the loft directly next to a hatch. This needs to be changed to a hybrid, so can be moved.
the loft hatch in question, is in a study, meaning the inverter is directly above the study.
The CU, is quite handily, directly below the study, so its all currently in a line, and minimal wiring.

When we finally get batteries, we have few location options.

1) With a second loft hatch which accesses the main loft area, it would be easy to board the 2.5m long narrow section, and put batteries along there, blocking through access from the other hatch.

2) With the study being too small for a single bed, It can only ever really be a study, or baby's bedroom with a crib (next owners not us). So batteries could go in there.

3) batteries could go on the ground floor, near the consumer unit, but only spaces are under the stairs, or next to them.

4)batteries go in the shed, which is only wooden, and inverter could also go here

The loft and shed are cold spaces, so heat would be lost, but batteries would be out of sight and neater. Im aware battery efficiency drops in cold weather, and here we can see -9 a few times a winter, 0- -4more often, though I know batteries can have heaters..
Having the batteries in the thermal envelope would mean generated heat is utilized, at the expense of the tech needing to be seen, and likely, heard at night if in the study.
The idea of batteries next to, or under the stairs gives me the heebie jeebies, and would also limit battery size in comparison.
If the shed was brick, I wouldn't hesitate to locate in there.

What's the views on best locations?
Attachments
Un.png
Un.png (9.85 KiB) Viewed 340 times
openspaceman

Re: Battery placement

Post by openspaceman »

As the battery needs to be within a couple of metres of the inverter, to minimise resistive losses at the lower voltage, I would say the loft.

As it is a cold loft you could remove insulation under the battery and add some to the sides and top of the battery, so a small heat bleed from the house keeps the temperature up, in much the same way a cold water cistern is installed in a loft.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
drjim

Post by drjim »

You will need to reinforce the joists. Standard ceiling joists aren't big enough to carry much weight.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Just seen this from eFIXX

Batteries are no longer going to be allowed in lofts.

Also this one yesterday
MoSTiE

Post by MoSTiE »

wait until you try and lift a battery and then you'll know why it should not go in the loft. :lol:
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

The ceiling joists are 8x2's so we are not talking flimsy matchsticks.
Plan to board would be perpendicular boards to the joists and 12-18mm ply tops, spacing dependent.
From what I gather, pylontechs seem to be crazy heavy compared to similar batteries ? Im thinking seplos if not homebuild.

Im not overly keen on sticking them in the loft, purely for access, im too stubborn to see the weight of a battery defeat me, but clear and easy access is a must, especially as we age.
If changing standards are prohibiting this, then outside is looking best, but will require much more cable work, and trench digging.
I could build a brick enclosure separately from the shed, but how big is too big, and how small too small, to allow for battery expansion in future.
I suppose a metal or wooden shed would be wise then build a proper enclosure once satisfied.

How many of you have outside storage banks? And what kind of shelter is it in?
Are there minimum requirements for such things? Obviously no water ingress etc.