Pylontech US3000C What Orientation is OK

martinW

Pylontech US3000C What Orientation is OK

Post by martinW »

Hi all,

as the title says.

I want to install my Pylontech US3000C battery bank in my metal bike shed outside. I will probably install the inverter and all the other gubbings in there as well. It a secure unit so hopefully they will stay put...

I have a problem with this location, due to it having two bikes I need to orientate the batteries vertically instead of horizontally. Is this going to be OK?

Normal install

xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx

My proposed install

x x x
x x x
x x x
x x x
x x x
x x x

I hope this makes sense.

I have emailed Pylontech to see what they say. I would assume it should be as the batteries are sealed unit, but unsure of weight issues within the battery. I can't seen any information in the documentation I have downloaded on orientation. Obviously horizontal in how its meant to be, but is there any reason why it cant be vertical?

If I can orientate vertically I can (maybe) shoe horn 6 batteries above the rear wheels of the bikes in the storage shed (with aluminium extrusion suitable speced for weight). If I have to go horizontal I can only get 2 in, maybe 4 if I take the sides and handles off...

thanks all
Stinsy

Re: Pylontech US3000C What Orientation is OK

Post by Stinsy »

Vertical is fine.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Just make sure the bike shed is warm enough in winter.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martinW

Post by martinW »

Great, thanks for the replies.

I did think of sticking some insulation to the roof of the bike shed. Maybe Cork tiles for the condensation.

I was thinking of monitoring the winter temperature and put some simple heating in if required.

On the same thought was summer heat. I might have to install temperature controlled extraction fan. Although this would have to be closed off in winter...
martinW

Post by martinW »

Finally had a reply back from Pylontech suport.

"Hi,

In general, we encourage our customers to mount the batteries horizontally and to ensure that there is sufficient space between each battery for heat dissipation. If you place the batteries in a well-ventilated area, then a 25mm spacing is sufficient. Vertical or sideways mounting is theoretically possible, but you need to consider the stability of the installation to avoid the batteries falling over. Also consider the installation of the grounding cable. Sideways mounting needs to not interfere with the continuity of the battery grounding. With the above two points met I believe you can mount the battery as you would expect."

In the new US5000 battery manual Pylontech that support sent me, it shows that you should not mount sideways, but vertically is acceptable. This is not shown in the new US3000c manual that they also sent me.

Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I'm going through the same thoughts at the minute, i built the battery shed yesterday and me and the father in law are going to board it out next ready for the batteries and the inverter to be installed, the main thing that puts me off a vertical (drop in) style rack is the potential for muck and carp to drop in to any open ports or switches (that would be just my luck) also the chance of mice perching on the flat surface warming their behind's while chewing the cable insulation appears more favourable than if the batteries are in the horizontal plain maybe ?

Vertical (drop in) does keep the centre of gravity low for stability and has the benefit of being the coolest part of the shed in the main 8 months, a heat mat under them with thermostat for the winter would give even warmth against frost or a small tube heater and insulation between boarding and shed walls floor and roof should provide the same.

I also think vertical (drop in) makes future expansion easier so I am interested in Pylontech's reply too.

Moxi
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

I am planning a rack of horizontal batteries suspended from the high ceiling of our enclosed porch (actually hanging from the floor joists of the room above.) The idea is that it can be expanded downwards if I get the racking detailed correctly.
It's near the meter, and cables from the roof can come down outside the front house wall...
OK?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Roof mounted here too. Maximised floorspace and no heat issues. Not shop bought, cobbled together then a coat of black slapped on for that 'pro ' look. :D

Being built from timber its been easy to add other bits. Inverter, gauge, switch and isolator.

Was impressed only last night when I saw US5000's, Jings!

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees