Saladin's Cave

Don't keep it to yourself - we want to see it
Saladin

Saladin's Cave

Post by Saladin »

Old photos, lots has changed since..It rarely stays the same for long...it is but lego

7kVA Studer 26V XTM twinset on 10kWh of LFP AC coupled frequency controller to a sunny boy HF3000 with 3.3kW of PV. Immersion diverter
DC coupled ~5kW PV on Morningstar MPPTs
DC Coupled 36V 3kWh of GEL Lead Acid with 1kW of PV
DC coupled to 12V ~1Kwh lead acid orphan batteries charged by diversion overflow discharged by boost regulator at night

harmonised to

The big one is 60V LFP 4kVA 3kWh

The sister is 26V LFP 3.5kVA 1.2kWh who has a clone 23V sister

One unified system. Details on how to micro grid here.

I run 52.8hz nominal because it's the 8th harmonic of the Mayer Wave: the earth's fundamental vibrational frequency. My house is filled with binaural beats. The national gid is our back-up genset.
resybaby

Re: Saladin's Cave

Post by resybaby »

Blimey.. . . . . . just blimey :surrender:
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
nowty

Post by nowty »

Nowty Towers is capable of running offgrid with similar frequency shift control of SMA grid tie inverters in the event of a power cut. I used to have half ongrid and half offgrid but I harmonised it all when I upgraded to a new SMA Sunny Island battery inverter and incorporated a Sunny Manager 2.0 so it could all be connected together.

When in ongrid mode the grid tie inverters are limited with export control comms but if we have a power cut it reverts to frequency control of the grid tie inverters.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Saladin

Post by Saladin »

Hi Nowty,

Good to see you've kept her lit all this time!

Yurp SMA copied Studer's frequency control back in the day. Given the grief CM had I decided to go straight to Studer and haven't regretted it....well when I say straight...there's a few fallen Mastervolts and Victrons didn't make the cut. I've never found something I can't do with a Studer and I've a lottov imagination.
I use the Sunny Boy HFs because they have inbuilt bluetooth to modify the facDelta settings. My primary SB blew it's MOVs in a lighting storm that hit nearby and blew the bejaysus outtov one of my XTMs and the neighbours 20hp air compressor. I replaced the MOVs and it's run fine since, except now it tells me there's an insulation resistance fault...I suspect it might be line filter caps getting old...ain't broke..not fixing it..
I had a real old transformer SB1700 before the upgrade that's still running several megawatts later after I donated it to a friend. Some people claim inverters only last 10 years? Hasn't been my experience.

Grid tied is definately the most ecological thing to do for a micro-generator, you need far less hardware, no battery and you can share your oversupply and offset the filthy furnace fuel they're shovelling into the powerplants to keep the lights on. Personally I don't think that turning single use plastics into electricity and atmosphere is an ethical use of the word recycling.

I'm off grid because my hardware's mostly not grid compliant and I've no intention of making it so and ticking all their boxes. Almost everything I buy is used and often from a foreign market. I always run forwards with the grid as a battery charger. Bittov craic getting the immersion diverter to work...in the end I just put the donut on the SB3000HF, there's other ways never found an ideal. They're not at all accurate...in a traditional setting the accuracy is abysmal and the refresh rate lag pretty poor too. Joe Normal the Sparky couldn't be dealing with shunts I suppose. The parasitic losses on those things would raise an eyebrow.

The thing about electrical wiring regulations is as stated on page 1 of the Sparky Bible: Only applied to Grid Connected Installations