Back in the game!

Don't keep it to yourself - we want to see it
Moxi

Re: Back in the game!

Post by Moxi »

Charge the car at 8 or 10 Amps maybe?

Similar here but as the sun comes around to the west panels I will step up the car charge incrementally

Moxi
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Moxi wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:43 pm Charge the car at 8 or 10 Amps maybe?

Similar here but as the sun comes around to the west panels I will step up the car charge incrementally

Moxi
I modified my Rolec to be switchable between 6A and 32A. I did it back before newfangled infinitely adjustable charging points existed, so I don't have the granularity to do that. Maybe I'll get a Zappi one day but if I'm spending £1000 there is a bunch of stuff ahead of that in the queue!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Ahhh ok when you mentioned 6amp I thought you were using the type 1 granny charger, mine has 6, 8 and 10 amp settings and I know some also have 13amp as well.

Moxi
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:17 pm Ahhh ok when you mentioned 6amp I thought you were using the type 1 granny charger, mine has 6, 8 and 10 amp settings and I know some also have 13amp as well.

Moxi
I’ve got one of those 13A ones.:twisted:

But I only use it at max on a pukka MK branded socket as they can take a little extra.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Caesium

Post by Caesium »

Awful day :( It was patchy cloud earlier and I was pulling a kW or two but now it's looking like rain.. my 6kW array is doing...

ugh! :(

This feels a bit like a taste of next winter will be like.. need more panels :D
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:14 pm

I modified my Rolec to be switchable between 6A and 32A. I did it back before newfangled infinitely adjustable charging points existed, so I don't have the granularity to do that. Maybe I'll get a Zappi one day but if I'm spending £1000 there is a bunch of stuff ahead of that in the queue!
I have a Rolec redundant from my daughter's place as she had a PV, battery and Zappi installed as an all in one package.

Is there an advantage to fitting this Rolec to my home, over a granny lead? Does the DNO have to approve it?

We export over half of our production at this time of year and I was wondering how to offer a charge point using the surplus without drawing from the grid.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Caesium wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:53 pm Awful day :( It was patchy cloud earlier and I was pulling a kW or two but now it's looking like rain.. my 6kW array is doing...

ugh! :(

This feels a bit like a taste of next winter will be like.. need more panels :D
The urge for panels never seems to fade. I am 35.5MWh PA deep in claimable RE and regardless continue to eye two sheds which are in nobodies book anything like prime PV real estate. Go for it! Sitting bronzing here in Turkey (hah) and doing the checks and controls back home. HWT is topped out and entire house is sitting at 19 degs via SH's. Should be a 40+kWh day back home. The truly trippy though is Graig Fatha WT, across 3 days it will generate £40. :ugeek: :mrgreen: :twisted:
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

openspaceman wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:22 pm I have a Rolec redundant from my daughter's place as she had a PV, battery and Zappi installed as an all in one package.

Is there an advantage to fitting this Rolec to my home, over a granny lead? Does the DNO have to approve it?

We export over half of our production at this time of year and I was wondering how to offer a charge point using the surplus without drawing from the grid.
1) Rolec (and other proper charge points) can charge at 32A (7.4kW) which is great for squeezing more power out of the Octopus Go cheap period. Even at 16A (3.6kW) you're doing better than a 10A granny.

2) A proper charge point is WAY WAY safer than a granny. Ordinary Bs1363 plugs and sockets are famous for overheating. Super long full-power use on BS1363 really is asking for problems.

3) You're supposed to tell the DNO (I didn't bother). If you have a 1960s bungalow then you might be on a looped supply in which case you'll need unlooping before you can install a 32A charge point (or electric shower, or induction hob, or heat pump).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:17 pm

1) Rolec (and other proper charge points) can charge at 32A (7.4kW) which is great for squeezing more power out of the Octopus Go cheap period. Even at 16A (3.6kW) you're doing better than a 10A granny.
I am not with octopus and unlikely to get an electric car, as I am on FIT payments I cannot get paid for export either, so the idea of selling some charging appeals slightly.

3) You're supposed to tell the DNO (I didn't bother). If you have a 1960s bungalow then you might be on a looped supply in which case you'll need unlooping before you can install a 32A charge point (or electric shower, or induction hob, or heat pump).
As I am only interested in utilising my surplus without investing much I was wondering how the Rolec could be re used on a lower power.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
chris_n

Post by chris_n »

openspaceman wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:40 pm
I am not with octopus and unlikely to get an electric car, as I am on FIT payments I cannot get paid for export either, so the idea of selling some charging appeals slightly.
You can opt out of the 50% assumed export and go onto a higher rate SEG if you want.
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.