My solar and batts

Don't keep it to yourself - we want to see it
BISFBath

Re: My solar and batts

Post by BISFBath »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:33 am
BISFBath wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:35 pm
Joeboy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:12 pm OK I'll bite. Why no airgap between batteries and why are they not rotated thru 90 clockwise from above to reduce cable runs and easier access to batteries/terminals? As to the loftboards repurposing....OK, not great BUT, why didn't you install a mounting board yourself if you knew they were coming?

Not too hard to retro work to a better look/spec/passive cooling.

Looks like a fine generation day and that is what really counts. How much are you generating on a decent day?
Orientation of the batts is my fault, I moved them when insulating and putting the loft boards down, so I can easily shift them apart.

I would have installed a mounting board if I'd suspected they'd be such bodgers. But I'd maybe naively assumed they'd do it properly. Next to it the boiler installer used a piece of OSB which seemed like the proper way to do it. I just assumed they'd do the same.

It's been an almost perfectly clear day here today, generated 30.5 kWh.
I would separate the batteries by an inch or so.and also place them on wooden strips to allow all six sides passive airflow. Also worth keeping an eye on battery temps if this is year one of the install in the loft.

That's a good daily generation figure, well done! :D
Thanks for the tip, I've done that. How do you measure the battery temps and what should they be kept to?

I'm pretty pleased with the generation figures as there isn't a massive space for modules on the roof.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

In essence then you have likely doubled the old values at the very least & goodness knows with work on the doubtless concrete cast fireplace of the era.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

BISFBath wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:45 pm
Joeboy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:33 am
BISFBath wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:35 pm

Orientation of the batts is my fault, I moved them when insulating and putting the loft boards down, so I can easily shift them apart.

I would have installed a mounting board if I'd suspected they'd be such bodgers. But I'd maybe naively assumed they'd do it properly. Next to it the boiler installer used a piece of OSB which seemed like the proper way to do it. I just assumed they'd do the same.

It's been an almost perfectly clear day here today, generated 30.5 kWh.
I would separate the batteries by an inch or so.and also place them on wooden strips to allow all six sides passive airflow. Also worth keeping an eye on battery temps if this is year one of the install in the loft.

That's a good daily generation figure, well done! :D
Thanks for the tip, I've done that. How do you measure the battery temps and what should they be kept to?

I'm pretty pleased with the generation figures as there isn't a massive space for modules on the roof.
You can buy a cheap IR thermometer gun off Amazon. Your user manual or manufacturer online will have an operating temp although your bms should throttle load back if the get hot. Don't worry, these are just in cases. Nonetheless, worth learning the environment parameters so you know what to expect.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees