My solar and batts

Don't keep it to yourself - we want to see it
BISFBath

My solar and batts

Post by BISFBath »

We had the chimney removed when the roof covering was replaced soon before the panels were installed so they can cover pretty much the entire usable area.

The installers ripped up some of my loft boards to mount the inverter on(!)

Stinsy

Re: My solar and batts

Post by Stinsy »

Interesting construction. Postwar prefab?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

OK I'll bite. Why no airgap between batteries and why are they not rotated thru 90 clockwise from above to reduce cable runs and easier access to batteries/terminals? As to the loftboards repurposing....OK, not great BUT, why didn't you install a mounting board yourself if you knew they were coming?

Not too hard to retro work to a better look/spec/passive cooling.
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

BISFBath wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:02 pm The installers ripped up some of my loft boards to mount the inverter on(!)
You installer just keeps on giving, its why many of us do our own thing.

And they DC cables look spliced (joined together halfway), ok if done well but its another alarm bell ringing.

The panels on the roof look good though.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
BISFBath

Post by BISFBath »

nowty wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:18 pm
BISFBath wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:02 pm The installers ripped up some of my loft boards to mount the inverter on(!)
You installer just keeps on giving, its why many of us do our own thing.

The panels on the roof look good though.
Yeah, they didn't even ask of course. That's why usually prefer to DIY where I can. because so many professionals seem to do bad jobs!
BISFBath

Post by BISFBath »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:12 pm OK I'll bite. Why no airgap between batteries and why are they not rotated thru 90 clockwise from above to reduce cable runs and easier access to batteries/terminals? As to the loftboards repurposing....OK, not great BUT, why didn't you install a mounting board yourself if you knew they were coming?

Not too hard to retro work to a better look/spec/passive cooling.

Looks like a fine generation day and that is what really counts. How much are you generating on a decent day?
Orientation of the batts is my fault, I moved them when insulating and putting the loft boards down, so I can easily shift them apart.

I would have installed a mounting board if I'd suspected they'd be such bodgers. But I'd maybe naively assumed they'd do it properly. Next to it the boiler installer used a piece of OSB which seemed like the proper way to do it. I just assumed they'd do the same.

It's been an almost perfectly clear day here today, generated 30.5 kWh.
nowty

Post by nowty »

BISFBath wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:35 pm It's been an almost perfectly clear day here today, generated 30.5 kWh.
For some of us veterans of an original 4kW system, 30kWh was the holy grail only achieved on the rarest of occasions. :o

Enjoy. :mrgreen:
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

The post war prefabs are interesting, very hard to heat though (obviously) what upgrades work on them OP & what are atypical consumption figures, there are some near me very happily lived in, I do remember war prefab bungalows too, the last in the area, which were much loved (it was countryside near Alconbury as I recall, they were rare even back in the mid 80's.

It is from there I discovered a fancy for modular home design as a young school teen doing summer work for the council.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
AGT

Post by AGT »

It’s a BISF house

Concrete bottom half, steel top half some not too far away from me
BISFBath

Post by BISFBath »

Mr Gus wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:04 pm The post war prefabs are interesting, very hard to heat though (obviously) what upgrades work on them OP & what are atypical consumption figures, there are some near me very happily lived in, I do remember war prefab bungalows too, the last in the area, which were much loved (it was countryside near Alconbury as I recall, they were rare even back in the mid 80's.

It is from there I discovered a fancy for modular home design as a young school teen doing summer work for the council.
It is pretty interesting I think because it's really simple, made up of steel I, C and L sections bolted together. Though the original insulation was poor by today's standards (a thin 'duvet' of fibreglass in brown paper in the perimeter walls and loft), anecdotally it didn't seem to be any worse and probably better than my parents' ~1900 solid stone-walled house with no insulation at all.

I've insulated the loft and most of the walls now and it is a lot more comfortable.