More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
resybaby

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by resybaby »

Moxi wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:56 pm Take some photos please Resbaby, and some regular updates, I'm curious to know how easy these are to DIY now that my wife is more attuned to going all electric.

Cheers

Moxi
Will do Moxi, but honestly they are beyond easy to do. Main thing, imv, is to plan the pipe route carefully, as you're working with given lengths of pipe, so end up with two 'fixed points' as it were. This can end up getting you in a pickle if trying to hide the pipework tidily if its on show amd your calcs are off. The bundle of pipe and wires gets pretty thick and cumbersome. Also the condensate drain, gotta run downhill obviously and to reduce leak potential best pipe it up in glued overflow or a single length of flexi pipe. Other than that pretty straightforward.

Nowtys 'build' on here is the thing to read up about, as always a top top write up, which absolutely gave me the confidence to have a go.

My lounge is 5m x 9m, and when the 3.5kw unit is running its unbelievably hot very quickly, rough power usage just under 1kw, so well economical to operate. A must have if running on llecy.

Some piccies of the first one in progress. Pipework hidden in boxing in the garage & exp foamed afterwards.

4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

Not a bad plan at all Nowty, especially if not used too working with pipework, certainly does reduce the leak potential.

Must admit i was surprised the wire wasnt the correct length considering the additional kit, but i suppose the wiring between the split units 'could' take a different route than the refridge pipework so it would be impossible to cover all scenarios. 10m of 1mm 5 core = £17 on Evilbay and i havent had to leave my sofa. Works for me.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

resybaby wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:24 pm
Moxi wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:56 pm Take some photos please Resbaby, and some regular updates, I'm curious to know how easy these are to DIY now that my wife is more attuned to going all electric.

Cheers

Moxi
Will do Moxi, but honestly they are beyond easy to do. Main thing, imv, is to plan the pipe route carefully, as you're working with given lengths of pipe, so end up with two 'fixed points' as it were. This can end up getting you in a pickle if trying to hide the pipework tidily if its on show amd your calcs are off. The bundle of pipe and wires gets pretty thick and cumbersome. Also the condensate drain, gotta run downhill obviously and to reduce leak potential best pipe it up in glued overflow or a single length of flexi pipe. Other than that pretty straightforward.

Nowtys 'build' on here is the thing to read up about, as always a top top write up, which absolutely gave me the confidence to have a go.

My lounge is 5m x 9m, and when the 3.5kw unit is running its unbelievably hot very quickly, rough power usage just under 1kw, so well economical to operate. A must have if running on llecy.

Some piccies of the first one in progress. Pipework hidden in boxing in the garage & exp foamed afterwards.

That looks great resy. Quite a petite unit, nice.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Having re read the whole thread it does look like the sort of thing that I could do comfortably- however only got one position in the whole house where I could put the unit and that means coring through 750 mm of solid stone wall with the potential to hit bits of Dolerite. I suppose it’s just a case of taking my time and having a sharp coring bit. I know the kitchen fitters took 4 hours to get through the south wall on a 5” core when the extraction hood was put in some years back.

It’s tempting but I need to tread cautiously with the wife as she has just got in line with the ASHP for DHW and heating so if I chuck this idea in the ring she might throw her arms up and huff at me :fight:

Maybe one for the back burner and concentrate on the ASHP and more solar pv first.

Moxi