Heat Pump combi storage cyclinder - the solution to homes with limited space ?

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Fintray

Re: Heat Pump combi storage cyclinder - the solution to homes with limited space ?

Post by Fintray »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:24 am Now the clever bit of this idea is realising that if the tank is is part of the CH system and the HP will come on to replenish the heat being lost in its rad. but what if the CH is already ON then the size of thermal store now becomes the size of the whole working system water and copper pipes,rads and HP ie the whole lot. In this case the rad/thermal store can be very much smaller as it is now behaving as a 100% efficient thermal store with heat energy being instantly replaced.and perhaps all one needs is a 50L tank ie small enough to fit in a kitchen unit.

This leaves me with the question of what happens when the CH is not on.
Would you really want the tank to be linked into the CH system (though I can see the benefit of the greater volume) as doing that you limit the tank temperature to that of the CH and like you say what happens if the CH is not required.

With my heat pump, and I expect this is normal for others, you either get CH or HW (one nor the other at a time) and the temperatures of both can be different.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Re: Heat Pump combi storage cyclinder - the solution to homes with limited space ?

Post by nowty »

I plumbed my heatpump in so I can have,

Hot Water only.

Heating only.

Both Hot water and Heating together.

There are some times you want them together, like for reducing HP cycling, or if you want heat in your radiators fast and you already have a hot tank of water.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

richbee wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:39 pm Having watched the latest Heatgeek video with a practical shower demonstration, I'm wondering if this would be good for me.
Our ASHP quote includes fitting a full hot water tank, but there's a lot of pipework and faffing about to fit it under the stairs and get pipe runs to/from.
One of these smaller 'combi' thermal store cylinders would potentially fit in place of the combi boiler and we will be getting a 12kW heatpump, so should be plenty of available power.....

Might have to ask the installer what they think - they are heatgeek registered, but I'm not doing it directly through heatgeek
With a 12kW HP it will put out enough power in real time for a decent shower (if it is the Vaillant it will do almost 15kW at UK temperatures) so you might not need HW storage of any kind. A plate heat exchanger would be sufficient - it would take up a lot less space and also not require any G3 unvented cyl precautions.

Whether yr installer would agree to this is another matter, IME they are extremely conservative and do not like to contemplate unusual system designs.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

sharpener wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:42 pm
With a 12kW HP it will put out enough power in real time for a decent shower (if it is the Vaillant it will do almost 15kW at UK temperatures) so you might not need HW storage of any kind. A plate heat exchanger would be sufficient - it would take up a lot less space and also not require any G3 unvented cyl precautions.

Whether yr installer would agree to this is another matter, IME they are extremely conservative and do not like to contemplate unusual system designs.
It would be such a big cost and faff saving if a cylinder could be avoided. How would you source an appropriate heat exchanger?

In this scenario, perhaps worth upping the HP capacity to, say, 16kW. That would provide really quite good hot water capacity, especially if it can exceed its rating as you suggest in favourable conditions. 20kW perhaps?
richbee

Post by richbee »

GarethC wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:40 pm

It would be such a big cost and faff saving if a cylinder could be avoided. How would you source an appropriate heat exchanger?

In this scenario, perhaps worth upping the HP capacity to, say, 16kW. That would provide really quite good hot water capacity, especially if it can exceed its rating as you suggest in favourable conditions. 20kW perhaps?
Think the problem then is that you lose the benefit of having a correctly sized HP - so you end up cycling a lot more and having poor efficiency / increased cost
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

GarethC wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:40 pm

They are not uncommon in HP installations so yr installer may have his own favourite supplier, or try https://www.heat-exchangers.uk/
GarethC wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:40 pm In this scenario, perhaps worth upping the HP capacity to, say, 16kW. That would provide really quite good hot water capacity, especially if it can exceed its rating as you suggest in favourable conditions. 20kW perhaps?
Not ideal for reasons @richbee points out. 12kW will give you 170 deg-litres/min so like an electric shower unit you can trade temp rise for flow rate. Perhaps with an inline (Willis) heater for really cold weather. Don't quite know how you would control it though.
zappi 7kW EVCS
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

19.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

I thought inverter based heat pumps modulated effectively, so didn't realise oversize one would cycle inefficiently. In fact, I was under the impression that oversizing could be beneficial, as HPs running at partial loads achieved higher COPs.

Not sure where I got that from though...
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:55 pm The game surely does keep moving.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2024/06/ ... er-scheme/
Yes, difficult to keep up, I went to check the Cosy prices w.e.f. 1 July and discovered the extra 2 hours of cheap rate!

So now I won't need to use the thermal store to run the bedroom rads from 2200 - 2300, and can use the stored energy in the living room earlier in the evening instead.
zappi 7kW EVCS
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
AGT

Post by AGT »

GarethC wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:46 pm I thought inverter based heat pumps modulated effectively, so didn't realise oversize one would cycle inefficiently. In fact, I was under the impression that oversizing could be beneficial, as HPs running at partial loads achieved higher COPs.

Not sure where I got that from though...
I thought the same too, so interesting to hear any other views