More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
nowty

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:36 pm You can get 75mm trunking designed specifically for this application. Comes in white for indoor and black or brown for outdoor.

Drainpipe seems to be working well for you though...
You know I did look online but came up blank, apart from USA websites.

I am going to cut one of these in half so it should go on like a clam shell.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:47 pm This is the stuff:

https://hvac-kit.co.uk/acatalog/Inaba-d ... ng-p1.html
Stage four again, "but its too late now". :lol:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Jeez its hot out there, I am back inside in the comfort of Aircon1. :lol:

Mounting bracket is supposed to take 120kg so I stood on it to give it a stress test. :twisted:

Outdoor units now on but I cannot decide which way to bend the pipes now. :evil:
Last edited by nowty on Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

When I fitted ours I bought the whole lot from the same place and their website suggested accessories I might need, like a pipe extension kit and the trunking and bear's paw. TBH, if their site hadn't suggested the accessories I probably wouldn't have known about the trunking. It does make for a neat job, though, and was very handy earlier this year when I had the unit checked, serviced and topped up with gas, as it made access to the pipes for leak testing one of the joins very easy.

For anyone in the Dorset/South Wiltshire/SW Hampshire area I now know of a good and affordable F gas chap. He charged me £90 to service and re-gas our unit earlier this year, and mentioned that he'd charge the same to sign off a DIY install and gas it up. He had no problem with someone DIY'ing a system and was happy to just do the testing and gassing. Had I known of him I'd have not bothered to buy a pump and gauges as I think they set me back close to £90.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
AGT

Post by AGT »

I still like the guttering method as the alternatives stick out as something different, having and extra downpipe will be ‘missed’ by lots of people, curved rectangular trunking catches the eye.. mine at least.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Bit of a bugger if there are any pipe joints inside it though! The reason I needed to get our ~3 year old unit checked and re-gassed turned out to be a very tiny leak at the pipe joint where the extension pipes connect to the tails from the indoor unit, and this happened to be close to where the pipes come out through the wall. Easy to get to with the proper trunking, just meant unscrewing the lid off the bear's paw, unclipping the lid off the trunking and unwrapping the tape and insulation to get at the joints to leak test them. It would have been a "saw the whole lot off" job if it had been inside drainpipe.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Post by nowty »

Vacuuming down, the site is now in the shade so its easier to work now. In the end the pipes could only be bent in one direction so I did not have to make a decision. :lol:

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Aircon2 (upstairs) joins Aircon1 (downstairs) at Nowty Towers, just in time for the heatwave. 8-)
Last edited by nowty on Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Had a day off today after yesterdays exertions and was out with my brother who is visiting this week. Both aircon units are now controllable via smart phone and I set a timer last night so they both came on today at midday. SWMBO came back from work mid afternoon and texted me it was bloody hot at work but the house and even upstairs was lovely.

On my return I found that it was too cold downstairs as some of the cold air from the upstairs unit was adding to the cold air downstairs so I have altered the temp and I set the downstairs unit one degree higher (lower power) than the one upstairs and that seems to be just right.

The unit upstairs is high over the stairwell and we left the bedroom door open and another spare room closed. I just checked the temps inside our opened door bedroom verses the closed door spare room which are both upstairs.

The closed door spare room feels hot and humid, temp 26 degrees, so is like what out bedroom normally feels like in these hot conditions. :oops:

The opened door bedroom is a comfortable 21 degrees, so it works as I hoped even without fitting aircon in the actual bedroom which would have been difficult. :D
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3