ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Joeboy

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by Joeboy »

resybaby wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:34 pm See your still in France Joeboy, so whats the timescales for your windows install? Will be interesting to see the works in progress
Not sure but they did say into next year as busy. I'm hoping for 5th Jan start date. I'm not going to push as I believe in the pick any 2 triangle cost-build quality-time. I'm willing to sacrifice time to keep the other two.

In Calais at the moment, interesting weather here. :shock:

Although the beers good as well as the saucisson.

I'll see you across the Winter Resy.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Just appealing to the diaspora. Anyone have an autoblinds manufacturer they know of, decent?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

A good mantra that, best to work with the contractors around the 'it dont matter much's' and ensure they stay on side with what does matter.

Nasty weather this side of the channel too - isolation resistance fault on my FIT yesterday, knocked the generation out for an hour - not that there was much in the downpour that caused it. Flooded my little road!

Very welcome with a bunch of food like that lol.

You wildcamping or sites in the Bongo? We do a bit of both in our Transporter when its warmer only though
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 7 x 570w JA solar panels
7.08kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

resybaby wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 8:39 am A good mantra that, best to work with the contractors around the 'it dont matter much's' and ensure they stay on side with what does matter.

Nasty weather this side of the channel too - isolation resistance fault on my FIT yesterday, knocked the generation out for an hour - not that there was much in the downpour that caused it. Flooded my little road!

Very welcome with a bunch of food like that lol.

You wildcamping or sites in the Bongo? We do a bit of both in our Transporter when its warmer only though
Glad you only lost an hour! We are away up t'market for a couple of dozen saucisson and a boxed wine or three. Ferry tomorrow and try for Edinburgh. We use sites as its good for the old ablutions. Prices have been from 20euro a night in the Ardennes to 50Euro at Paris. Not bad for 2 considering a chain hotel in Suresnes was 180Euro a night. Defo end of season now!

Nowty might be doing better for weather as South as he is. Tempted to turn around and head for Italy... Maybe next year. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

20+ saucisson, 17 of 3ltr wineboxes (68 bottles,eqv), a half dozen bottles of Belgian beer (triple karemelit etc), 1/4 kg coarse pate, a bottle of rose, garlic sausage, croissants, le pain. 4 small bottles bier.

Under 200 Euro the lot. Would only buy 27 bottles of our go to red in Scotland. :D

Maybe by the time Nowty gets back they'll still be doing the 6 bottles for 10 Euro up at the tills. :o

Rose or red option, vision the next day optional! ;)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Guys are coming from KSM this morning. Sadly the ordered 3g cut thru hadn't arrived yesterday at glazing outlet in Aberdeen so we can at least knock around the ideas of what we are looking for with their surveyor and hopefully next week we can take final measurements to order the windows once the 3g cut thru is here.

Good lads, don't want to take final sizes until they've got the 90mm deep sample in hand as a visual aid for issues. A good sign.

Great run up the road from Dover with an overnight in Edinburgh at daughterlys. Hit Pidou winestore again for bottles of red/rose & fizz. No problems 😊

I may crack open one of the '6 bottles for 10 Euro' red this evening. How bad can it be, really? :hysteria:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Well that was excellent. Really nice guys, understood exactly what I wanted on maximising this one time opportunity to increase the thermal efficiency of the home while the sills are up and windows out.

They are away to research max U value low expanding foam, sills, reveal strips etc. Looks like it will be closer to March before fitted as they've got a busy diary. We said they can come and go fitting as time allows between now and Spring to keep the time/cost/quality triangle in balance towards cost/quality.

Hopefully the sample window section as requested will be here at the start of the week and we can complete the size survey. Today was great as we laid out what we would like to see in the end product and it wasn't rushed.

Paid a deposit to lock them in, all signed for. Right, I better go learn about ASHP's now for next weeks survey. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Holy hogsmoke, my brains blown! Liking the heatgeeks U tube videos & reading matter though.

I was surprised that going on the EPC online info available calc that the heatgeek site specified a 7.4kW HP at 96 build or a 10.2kW unit at 83 build spec. Most of the house is at 2000 onwards or has been upgraded in some way. Maybe we can shoot for a 10kW unit?

Surprised to see that out of 14 rads around the house we have

5 single
8 double
1 triple

Upgrades required!

Funnily enough I remember getting the gas down from a 32,000kWh start to about 12,000kWh before switching it off. That at least shows i'm heading in the right direction. Mind is now full of flow temps & SCOP figure... :roll:

The question list grows. :facepalm:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

I’m 1860’s Victorian with a 10 kw heat loss, sure your will be lower

Heat engineer app is a tenner for a single heat loss property worth it, but makes assumption regarding air cycles etc
That’s why I think k the door blower test is worth it, could knock a few kW’s off a heat pump making unit cheaper, smaller etc
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

JB, how controllable are the storage heaters you have? Can you control their output quite accurately ? If so you can reduce their heat output to emulate the heat output you would get from a radiator of a given size. You might find out that your existing rads are more than sufficient for the job! especially after the 3g is fitted.

Theres a great radiator / flow temp emulator resources on here somewhere that is fab for experimenting on a room to room basis - I will try to find it

The GCH here is still in low flow mode and we are inching towards a years worth of real time heating data to use for determining our ASHP size, DHW set at approx 42degrees C and the heating is down at 36 degrees C, this week in the cold snap we have still found the radiators capable of lifting the room temperature up to 21 degrees within an hour even with the outside temps down to 11 degrees. Our average on the coast seems to hang around 4 degrees C in December and January according to national statistics on the degree day site so I am very hopeful that we will only need to double up a couple of radiators rather than add any - we only have 3 off 800x 600 singles upstairs and 3 off 1200 x 600 doubles downstairs plus a fancy towel rad in the bathroom.

Moxi