More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
nowty

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:20 pm
Hi Nowty, it was pretty straightforward to install the only bit that was difficult was feeding the pipes through the hole in the window frame whilst lifting the indoor unit into place, apart from that it was reasonably simple.
I think I agree there, my first one was not too bad as it was ground floor, but the second one was high up, second floor over a stairwell and I did not think it though enough but just about managed it. Once the pipe has gone about a meter through the wall, there was no going back. :?
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:58 am
nowty wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:16 am I'm interested to know if others agree to my opinion that the F-Gas regulations banning us DIY'ers are not only a joke, but a barrier to ditching the gas.
I agree fully. However the powers that be see DIYers as bumbling fools leaving dangerous situations in their wake and qualified professionals as artisan journeyman perfectionists. The reality however is that often DIYers do better quality work because they have time and patience to do the job properly, whereas in the real world a “professional” often does a quick and dirty job due to incompetence or economic pressures.

They’ve relaxed the rules on DIY electrical work over recent years so maybe there is hope…
Echoes my experience. Seen lots of dodgy work done by supposed "professionals". The snag is that there seems to be no policing of standards of workmanship at all, plus there is a relative shortage of decent tradespeople, so we're left with loads of barely competent people doing work without regard for the quality of it. At least most fairly keen DIY'ers will probably have some pride in their work, and want to do things so they look neat and tidy.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

nowty wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:51 pm
Fintray wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:20 pm
Hi Nowty, it was pretty straightforward to install the only bit that was difficult was feeding the pipes through the hole in the window frame whilst lifting the indoor unit into place, apart from that it was reasonably simple.
I think I agree there, my first one was not too bad as it was ground floor, but the second one was high up, second floor over a stairwell and I did not think it though enough but just about managed it. Once the pipe has gone about a meter through the wall, there was no going back. :?
It would be much easier if the indoor unit had about a metre of pipe (so enough to go through the wall) then do the connections to the larger length of pipes on the outside, but realise that having the metre of pipe on the indoor unit would be difficult for packaging, etc.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Fintray wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:09 pm It would be much easier if the indoor unit had about a metre of pipe (so enough to go through the wall) then do the connections to the larger length of pipes on the outside, but realise that having the metre of pipe on the indoor unit would be difficult for packaging, etc.
Mine had about 600mm or so of pipe, the bit on the indoor unit was pretty much the same as the width of the recess on the back of it, where it was folded up in the packaging. I found this length of pipe was just enough to go through the wall with a bit to spare. I'd not have enjoyed trying to feed a long run of pipe through the wall whilst trying to manhandle the indoor unit up on to its mounting plate. I made the pipe connections off under the bears paw bit of trunking on the outside, fairly easy, but I should have tightened the unions up a bit tighter than I did, as one subsequently developed a very, very tiny leak.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:35 pm
Fintray wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:09 pm It would be much easier if the indoor unit had about a metre of pipe (so enough to go through the wall) then do the connections to the larger length of pipes on the outside, but realise that having the metre of pipe on the indoor unit would be difficult for packaging, etc.
Mine had about 600mm or so of pipe, the bit on the indoor unit was pretty much the same as the width of the recess on the back of it, where it was folded up in the packaging. I found this length of pipe was just enough to go through the wall with a bit to spare. I'd not have enjoyed trying to feed a long run of pipe through the wall whilst trying to manhandle the indoor unit up on to its mounting plate. I made the pipe connections off under the bears paw bit of trunking on the outside, fairly easy, but I should have tightened the unions up a bit tighter than I did, as one subsequently developed a very, very tiny leak.
I think the pipe on the indoor unit would have allowed me to do as you did if I could have taken out at the right rear but I needed to take the pipes out at the left rear to come through the frame.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Has anyone got one of these to work with node red and tuya?

I can do some commands via Alexa in node red but Alexa can't control various things like changing mode. It seems able to only control on/off, eco on/off, temperature setting and ionisation on/off.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:04 pm Thought I'd join our southern cousins with the (self installed) A/C but more likely to be used in heating mode up here.

Excellent, maybe in a couple of years here.. Will watch with interest for the performance figures especially in Winter. Using it as inexpensive ashp?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:25 pm
Fintray wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:04 pm Thought I'd join our southern cousins with the (self installed) A/C but more likely to be used in heating mode up here.
Using it as inexpensive ashp?
Hi Joe

Yes that's the idea to see how it performs over winter to keep the chill off the conservatory.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:32 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:25 pm
Using it as inexpensive ashp?
Hi Joe

Yes that's the idea to see how it performs over winter to keep the chill off the conservatory.
Spectacular idea, it'll be grand!
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

A slight chill in the air this morning at Nowty Towers, normally that would never happen as the GSHP would heat the radiators if it was cool enough early morning. But I have the timer to the GSHP heating currently turned off as I am preparing to use the A2A heatpumps instead.

First turned them both on, too hot :shock: , but at least I have finally tested the upstairs unit on heat mode and it works. :lol:

Very cloudy and cool drizzly conditions here, only 500w coming in on the solar but battery stack nicely at around 90% full. Now just got the downstairs one running and its only using 600w with more than enough heat coming out. 8-)

Finally got to see the condensate coming out of the outdoor unit, :geek:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3