Octopus launches its own Heat Pump

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Yuff

Re: Octopus launches its own Heat Pump

Post by Yuff »

nowty wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:59 am
Mr Gus wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:47 am Yuff, Im surprised your house has cavity walls at all ( modern extension)!?
Many will be more hesitant than you by the amount of work done for ashp in your older property, can I suggest a project summary in a thread of its own for those that come seeking info down the line? ..it would doubtless shore up a lot in the minds of those contemplating a refit that is on the cusp of an unprecedented demand, & a few horror stories to boot.
The cavity wall became widespread in the 1920's, so maybe not so surprising on a 90 year old house.
https://www.londondampcompany.co.uk/the ... f-history/
Glad I’m not going mad :D
Annoyingly part of the re-furb was ripping out a beautiful oak floor in a 15 year old extension, why oh why did they not put UFH in it in 2006…..
The excavating out cost multiples of the UFH …….
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 3 170 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
nowty

Post by nowty »

Yuff wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:08 pm Annoyingly part of the re-furb was ripping out a beautiful oak floor in a 15 year old extension, why oh why did they not put UFH in it in 2006…..
The excavating out cost multiples of the UFH …….
A house round the corner had scaffolding up recently. I thought Solar Panels obviously.
No, just replaced some poncy wall cladding.

A year ago the house across the road from me had scaffolding up, load of roofers on took ALL the the tiles off, I thought, wow they are having some in roof solar panels fitted.
No, just replaced a few broken tiles.

16.9kW PV > 104MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Yuff, if it is solid oak then it is deemed typically unsuitable for UFH, for which in those years the thin veneer of real oak (maybe get 1 or two sandings off it) was / is more expensive than solid (crazy right) but suitable for ufh generally ..so like ourselves opted to lay down thick planked oak which is a nice insulating layer in itself compared to carpet with underlay.

Probably no reason why oak flooring from then cannot have the adhesive scraped (agitated off) & reused elsewhere, otherwise a shocking waste!
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mart

Post by Mart »

Just to say I went through their questionaire and submitted a 'just looking for prices' (rather than a date) application, and they've come back with that they may be able to install one this summer.

No price/quote yet, but I'll keep folk informed.

My alternative plan was to get a much smaller boiler to replace the combi. Add a HP hotwater tank (external venting), and possibly a 3rd A2A unit. So the GCH would need minimal use.

But the cost of all that would be more than a proper ASHP install (after grant), and also if we change from a gas oven to leccy, we could go gas free. [Plus of course, I'm probably pushing my luck with the 2 small A2A units, so options may be reduced.]

Edit - Should say, I expect to be told that we aren't suitable as we have microbore, so may need a high temp HP. But hoping that we are OK, as I've been running the GCH on minimum temp this year, and it almost coped, so 24/7 HP would probably manage for those bad 1 or 2 week periods. Also hoping that the A2A units can be included.

Gas consumption has fallen from 11k kWh about 5-10yrs ago, to 8k kWh (thanks to improvements), and the last years dropped further with A2A units. 2022 was 5,500kWh (including DHW and gas oven).

So fingers crossed ...... but that microbore ..... hmmm!
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mart wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:34 pm So fingers crossed ...... but that microbore ..... hmmm!
A nice easy to understand video about microbore and heatpumps.

16.9kW PV > 104MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Mart

Post by Mart »

Many thanks Nowty. Nice to know there are options.

My hope is that even with the microbore, the house would be fine on the worst days, by running longer, since we don't actually use all that much heat. Plus the A2A can work as additional heating. But I'm not sure if the A2A support can be included in the assessments and still allow elegibility for the grant. Still, fun to find out.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

I've also applied for pricing details, looks to be the same summer timeline in this area as well.
The main issue for me is finding space for the UVC, ideally I'd like it in a downstairs cupboard but 0.75 x 0.75 is a fair bit less than the 1.0 x 1.0 Octopus want...
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Mart wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:52 pm Many thanks Nowty. Nice to know there are options.

My hope is that even with the microbore, the house would be fine on the worst days, by running longer, since we don't actually use all that much heat. Plus the A2A can work as additional heating. But I'm not sure if the A2A support can be included in the assessments and still allow elegibility for the grant. Still, fun to find out.
I'm same. thinking of replacing my gas boiler with a 6kW HP. Hoping the A2A can overcome the limitations of microbore and provide additional heat as required.

Not this years project though.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)