ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Andy

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by Andy »

sharpener wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:24 am
Andy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:08 am

This is how ours is set up as well.

The problems I found are that the bedroom is quite hard to control. There is no way to turn down the heat at night because with the window open the cold air flows over the trv giving max demand. We tried windows closed with a setback on a digital trv and that didn't really work either because even lightly cracking the window ended up with a gentle flow of cold air over the trv. We have a whole house setback of a few degrees. If you set much lower, the system does a gentle lowering of temperature I found I was never comfortable as I always had the wrong duvet chasing the temperature. Better to have one temp and get the duvet to fit. Thin one for me and one that gives death by crushing for my wife.

The other problem is the kitchen with the WBS. Again I tried digital TRV so the radiators would be turned off when the WBS came on. They were pretty rubbish and we've gone back to the regular wax ones which are quite slow to respond. Its a shame there is no way to have ones that can be controlled by code so that you can fully turn them off as soon as the system detects the stove is on (rapid rise in temp for example).
Honeywell Evohome wireless TRVs can be paired with a separate room stat configured for the same zone. So in your case you could put a room stat in the bedroom away from the window, and another in the kitchen near to the WBS.

However I have not found the Honeywell system very reliable, but I expect other wireless TRV systems will do much the same. Son is very pleased with his Tado.
And just in time they are massively reduced on amazon. I'll check them out thanks. I wonder how much things have moved along since I last looked.
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 1:26 pm
Also going for a wallmount external to remove risk of micro climation in a small fenced space and keeping the top under 3mtr height which will let No1 son walk his 6' 6" ness under without ducking. 6 rads to be replaced with 4 advised extra to go in. Hoping to get that down to 2 extra and play with surface area on others. :whistle:
Several posts on the Arotherm + FB page saying Vaillant will not carry out warranty repairs on or service units over 2m from ground level unless you provide access platform or scaff with safety rails etc.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

sharpener wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:02 am
Joeboy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 1:26 pm
Also going for a wallmount external to remove risk of micro climation in a small fenced space and keeping the top under 3mtr height which will let No1 son walk his 6' 6" ness under without ducking. 6 rads to be replaced with 4 advised extra to go in. Hoping to get that down to 2 extra and play with surface area on others. :whistle:
Several posts on the Arotherm + FB page saying Vaillant will not carry out warranty repairs on or service units over 2m from ground level unless you provide access platform or scaff with safety rails etc.
Good to know, thanks for that. Time will tell. The bottom of the unit will be at 2 mtrs.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:00 pm First dibs on the heaters😁
There shall be storage heaters and a solar boost up for sale in Spring as well as Hive plugs.

SWMBO was quite clear in that. :facepalm:

"There'll be no squirreling away or back up for a back up laddie". :o :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

Only kidding mate!

Enjoy the new installs when they happen!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

2019 30,000 mile, 1 owner 40kWh pack, 65kW motor, top spec Zoe for Nowty to add to the team collection. Managed 3.99 miles per kWh on the return run. Pretty good for a cold rainy, windy day. The sea at Nairn was terrifying.

Surprised at the level of sophistication in such a small car. Regeneration not quite as smooth as the I5 and only single stage but all in all a brilliant wee EV for 8 grand. Did a bit of neutral coasting too on the way home. :D

Currently charging on the Easeeone off the home stack to test, all good. :D

Grant application for ashp submitted for approval late afternoon and excitingly ashp job penciled in for a 18th Nov start, oooohh! :lol:

Just shows the demand difference. 5 weeks for an ASHP as opposed to 20 weeks for the triple glazing. At least we'll.get a chance to do a Winter before and after comparing 2g to 3g in an ashp environment. :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:59 pm 2019 30,000 mile, 1 owner 40kWh pack, 65kW motor, top spec Zoe for Nowty to add to the team collection. Managed 3.99 miles per kWh on the return run. Pretty good for a cold rainy, windy day. The sea at Nairn was terrifying.

Surprised at the level of sophistication in such a small car. Regeneration not quite as smooth as the I5 and only single stage but all in all a brilliant wee EV for 8 grand. Did a bit of neutral coasting too on the way home. :D

Grant application for ashp submitted for approval late afternoon and excitingly ashp job penciled in for a 18th Nov start, oooohh! :lol:

Just shows the demand difference. 5 weeks for an ASHP as opposed to 20 weeks for the triple glazing. At least we'll.get a chance to do a Winter before and after comparing 2g to 3g in an ashp environment. :twisted:
Blimey it's all go!
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:39 pm
Joeboy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:59 pm 2019 30,000 mile, 1 owner 40kWh pack, 65kW motor, top spec Zoe for Nowty to add to the team collection. Managed 3.99 miles per kWh on the return run. Pretty good for a cold rainy, windy day. The sea at Nairn was terrifying.

Blimey it's all go!
It has been a busy couple of weeks for sure. Heard a Valliant ad this morning on classic FM, that s a first!

Fitting a couple of autoclose fans today, one with humidistat.

First day today when owl has been blue!

A new log guard in too, the old one defo did its time.

Beef stew on all day on the back corner, can't do that with an ASHP (as far as I know). :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

First fan in, the old unshuttered units timer board wasn't looking too clever, a bit blacker than I'd have expected. Don't think it had much life left in it.

The wonderfully named fangofast brand from Amazon is decent enough. 100mm, on/off only with a rear driven shutter, quiet in operation. Bit of a rewire to bring it back to switched single live. Pulls 12W only when running. Found a gap in the back edge of the old unit straight into loft. It's sealed now. 8-)
Would that affect our heat loss calculation? :lol:

I'll have a crack at the front shuttered humidistat unit tomorrow, more wiring and see what we can do about the size drop to 100mm.

On the ashp side of things we have paid deposit today, the gear is also being ordered today and we'll kick off on the install on the 18th Nov. :D

The open energy monitor and Web access will be provided in the cost. I'd be interested if anyone wants to post time running and SCOP experience across the country?

I'll start
0 years install
Anticipation of SCOP 4.0 upwards (from installers)..
Location North East Scotland

3G is slowly moving forward. There were x'd wires on the cut thru sample. Hopefully here tomorrow. Final sizes will be the other side of Turkish time too, so likely 18th Nov as well. No worries then. It'll be a busy day that one. :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Ok, here's mine:
7 months from install
SCOP 4.47
Location North East Scotland
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf