More Renewable Shenanigans at Stinsy Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Stinsy

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Stinsy Towers

Post by Stinsy »

Another little project!

The UPS that powers the WiFi Router, WiFi access points, network switches, and CCTV cameras at my house threw a battery error the other day. So I've replaced the batteries.

The original APC batteries lasted 2-years. When I looked up the service instructions online the batteries in my device were described as being "non-replaceable" and the manufacturer advised buying an entire new unit. Now that's not how stuff works in this house. So I disassembled it and found 2x bog-standard 7Ah Lead-Acid batteries. I bought a pair of cheapo replacement batteries for £15 a piece and replaced them.

Here we are 4-years later and the cheapo batteries have again failed. This time I bought a pair of expensive branded batteries for £21 a piece and fitted them yesterday.

Non-replaceable my arse!

Last edited by Stinsy on Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

4 or 5 years is what I get out of my APC UPS's too and I also buy that Ultramax brand. They seem to regularly test themselves by running for a few seconds and check the battery voltage does not sag too much. If it does you get the dreaded alarm.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 18MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:02 pm 4 or 5 years is what I get out of my APC UPS's too and I also buy that Ultramax brand. They seem to regularly test themselves by running for a few seconds and check the battery voltage does not sag too much. If it does you get the dreaded alarm.
I'll report back on how these get on. 4-5 years is what you'd expect from these kinds of batteries. The last time I charged both of the old ones and left them for a few days. One of the batteries had dropped below 11V just being left on the shelf a few days so was obviously toast. The other seemed fine. This time I haven't even checked voltage, but one has a clear bulge (pictured).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AGT

Post by AGT »

Re read this thread, hats off to all the A2A pioneers!