More Renewable Shenanigans at Stinsy Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Stinsy

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Stinsy Towers

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:55 pm I do have two of them though. ;)
Is the 2nd one installed yet?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:28 pm
nowty wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:55 pm I do have two of them though. ;)
Is the 2nd one installed yet?
Not yet, its still in bits all over the bedroom floor. :lol:

I've been in the north seeing folks and friends but I'm back now and my brother is coming to visit next week so I told him he might be helping me doing some jobs, like hold this, push that, etc. 8-)

I'm hoping to have it done this week, and this ones going to have the outside unit on a wall mounting bracket in an elevated position so more fun and games to be had. :mrgreen:
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 18MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:55 pm It was just the New Milton bit that stuck in my mind as we lived sort of on the edge of the Forest. Between Nursling and Rownhams.

That was a couple of lives ago, though ;)

Look a belting, and very appropriate, product.
Don't go imagining any UK manufacturing facility! It is a VERY "Made in China" product complete with badly translated instructions...

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

As well, the name plate looks pukka :lol:
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Right, update for you…

No pics.

You may recall that this is going on an internal wall with the power lines, refrigerant pipes, and condensate pipe going through the attic. I originally intended to run everything up the wall behind the internal unit and box in / make good afterwards. But in the end I got it all of it through the cavity of the stud wall which was a major hassle. Fitting the condensate pump was similarly a hassle but I got it done.

The outside unit to be wall-mounted. Strut supposed to be delivered today didn’t arrive. Will update with progress and promise to take some pics…
Last edited by Stinsy on Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Mecano has arrived!

I can now start getting the outside unit up.

Moxi

Post by Moxi »

mmmmmmm Mecano, nice!

Lawns no looking to bad either Stinsy!

Moxi
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Hi, sorry for the lack of updates, I'm not very good at this plus haven't been able to spend any time on this for a few days!

Anyway today I got the wiring for the FCU done, ran the wire between the inside unit and where the outside unit will be, got the refrigerant pipes roughly in place, cut up the Mecano and got it on the wall ready for the outside unit. Crawling through very tight parts of the attic wasn't much fun, particularly as I was working on my own so had to keep going round to each side...

Next jobs: Tidy up wiring and refrigerant pipes, whack some more insulation into that part of the loft, and the bit I'm looking forward to least of all: get the 40kg outside unit up there!

Im off to the Commonwealth games with the family for a few days. I’ll hopefully get back on it Tuesday.

nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:37 am
Next jobs: Tidy up wiring and refrigerant pipes, whack some more insulation into that part of the loft, and the bit I'm looking forward to least of all: get the 40kg outside unit up there!
Yeah, I was thinking that. :shock:
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 18MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Getting the outdoor unit fitted high on the wall was far and away the hardest part when I installed our system. I ended up using two extending ladders, one with a makeshift pulley arrangement that I used to haul the unit up the ladder, using the ladder as sort of rails for it to slide up (wrapped the thing in cardboard first) and the other for me to get up to manhandle the unit on to the wall brackets. The wall brackets I used had the arms slotted into the fixed parts, so I was able to take the arms off, haul the unit up to just above where it needed to be, then I climbed up and fitted the arms, lowering the unit back on to them.

The outdoor unit for ours was a bit lighter though, around 28kg, but even so it took me the best part of half a day just to get it up there and fitted to the wall. The challenge I had once I had got it up there was getting the ladder I'd used to haul it up there out from behind the unit. I ended up sliding the outdoor unit to the very end of the arms to give me enough room to get the ladder out, which didn't look at all safe. My wife was convinced that the thing was going to come down on my head . . .

If doing it again then I would either fit a big rawlbolted eye into the wall above the unit, to use as an anchor for a pulley or winch system, or I would hire one of those lifting platforms for the day. The latter would probably be the best solution, and not that expensive. Our local hire place has a small one that costs about £70/day to hire and it folds up to fit in the back of a car.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter