Evaporative air cooler

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Moxi

Re: Evaporative air cooler

Post by Moxi »

On the few hot days we recently had in North Wales I borrowed the stick insects misting spray and sat strategically next to the fan with the wife and kids on the settee opposite and when the fan came around to their position I would give it a burst of mist in front of the fan, surprisingly effective, so much so that after the lads had gone to bed the dogs would get up on the settee in their place and look at me accusingly until I applied cooling for them as well !

It was fascinating watching the water mist disappear within a meter or so - admittedly once or twice I would give an extra trigger squeeze and they would get a shower of fine water droplets hit them :o but that was just me trying to be thorough ......honest. :twisted:

There are lots of bodgeneered evap cooler designs to DIY on ooh-tube! some good, some amusing.

Thankfully here theres not enough truly hot days to merit a proper Air con system - as the wife reminds me every time i suggest that an air to air split system would add comfort to the cottage :roll:

She may be right, today is the first day in several that we have seen the sun, Monday was awful at 3.5kWh total, Tuesday not much better at 5.2kWh and yesterday a passable 9kWh, today though the washing has been on the tumble dryer is going the hoovering has been done and the batts are at 91% for the first time in 4 days :)

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:08 pm On the few hot days we recently had in North Wales I borrowed the stick insects misting spray and sat strategically next to the fan with the wife and kids on the settee opposite and when the fan came around to their position I would give it a burst of mist in front of the fan, surprisingly effective, so much so that after the lads had gone to bed the dogs would get up on the settee in their place and look at me accusingly until I applied cooling for them as well !

It was fascinating watching the water mist disappear within a meter or so - admittedly once or twice I would give an extra trigger squeeze and they would get a shower of fine water droplets hit them :o but that was just me trying to be thorough ......honest. :twisted:

There are lots of bodgeneered evap cooler designs to DIY on ooh-tube! some good, some amusing.

Thankfully here theres not enough truly hot days to merit a proper Air con system - as the wife reminds me every time i suggest that an air to air split system would add comfort to the cottage :roll:

She may be right, today is the first day in several that we have seen the sun, Monday was awful at 3.5kWh total, Tuesday not much better at 5.2kWh and yesterday a passable 9kWh, today though the washing has been on the tumble dryer is going the hoovering has been done and the batts are at 91% for the first time in 4 days :)

Moxi
Similar up where we are Moxi, there are a double handful+ of days per year where I'd truly appreciate some extra cooling. As an upright tool using ape I am happy to tool use to a point. Luckily climate change has not presented us with the Southern Coast scenario. AE made an excellent point regarding the humidity level. If it can't evaporate off the skin it's not much use as a unit. In saying that we are not that humid in the North, I would also ventilate when it was running plus it runs for very little power. There may be a niche window for this at my home and for sure it will bring relief here on the Turkish balcony. Maybe Wales too?
Dogs don't miss much and they know no shame! :D
I am very much a believer in power to a 👉 and not beyond. I have hopes for this.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
billi

Post by billi »

well , 27 degrees in my livingroom , but even the look of that makes me feel colder now :lol: , beside the breeze in the area of the fan

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

billi wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:59 pm well , 27 degrees in my livingroom , but even the look of that makes me feel colder now :lol: , beside the breeze in the area of the fan

Toasty now!

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
robl

Post by robl »

It got really hot in Cambridge in the heatwave, we all hid in our lovely EWI-ed house which kept nice inside. I've got some 0.2degC accurate SHT35 sensors for temp and relative humidity inside and outside, and so here's a graph of the heatwave - the outdoor one claims we got to 42C in the shade :o .
The RH was generally low, especially during the daily peak temperatures, so an evaperative cooler should work here, indoors or outside.
4kWp solar, EV

Diy: MVHR, 150mm EWI, 15kWh batt, 2.4kW GSHP & no gas
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Do you guys know about soaking chicken in natural yoghurt? :twisted:

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Well as tenderising/‘moisturising’, good vehicle for spice/flavours too. Often use it as a marinade base for chicken.

Looking good Joe.

Last BBQ - we did. 3.5Kg dry aged T-Bone - fed four of us well. Need to enjoy on the pink side, though ;)

This was pre-BBQ
billi

Post by billi »

oh from air cooler to BBQ .... thats a temp difference :lol:

for sure that makes us sweat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bistecca_alla_fiorentina

since decades after having one in Tuscany i just cant resist those T-bones 3 " thick

Needed to be done after that brickoven i had finished befor the lawn :mrgreen:
Last edited by billi on Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

That’s the one Billi, Bistecca alla Fiorentina ;)
billi

Post by billi »

:D well as a youngster German greenhorn in Tuscany, i ordered it near Sienna was not too afraid by the price on the menu stating something like 3 GBP per 100 grams and said feck it i go for it ..... well that was a lesson and i asume i went for pure antipasti idea diet afterwards , as the 1300 gram bill next to the good redwine, was quite hefty , and those where those days with only pocket money on travels

But good to revisit and prepare those now occasionally for a group to share