Evaporative air cooler

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Oldgreybeard

Re: Evaporative air cooler

Post by Oldgreybeard »

What do these things do to the humidity?

Yesterday and earlier today here the humidity has been up around 60% or so, and I find that more uncomfortable than the heat for some reason. We were both outside working yesterday, before the rain, and even though it was only around 24°C it felt a lot warmer than it did last week, when we had days of it being up over 30°C. The fact that there was very little breeze didn't help.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
billi

Post by billi »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:35 pm
billi wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:57 pm well am glad to have a staimlrss watter storage an so,e PV ahead
Slowly slowly catchy monkey, build it all over time eh?

We are now down to speed 1 out of 3 on the fan and the temp gauge indicates 25 degs. Background is now 35 degs.

I am very happy with this unit, I worried that stepping down from the HUGE units that are running in the restaurants would negate the benefits, not at all. This product certainty has a place in the cooling world.

well i had my problems with copper and enemailed tanks in Ireland , so that stainless stteal tank was a selling factor
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:47 pm What do these things do to the humidity?

Yesterday and earlier today here the humidity has been up around 60% or so, and I find that more uncomfortable than the heat for some reason. We were both outside working yesterday, before the rain, and even though it was only around 24°C it felt a lot warmer than it did last week, when we had days of it being up over 30°C. The fact that there was very little breeze didn't help.
Too early to say. The net says 60% is cutoff for appreciable benefit but that's nonsense. Been beside them at 65% and felt no drop off. Best way to describe it is... You are in the shower on a hot Summer day. A breeze hits your skin, that's it right there. :)
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

billi wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:30 pm
Joeboy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:35 pm
billi wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:57 pm well am glad to have a staimlrss watter storage an so,e PV ahead
Slowly slowly catchy monkey, build it all over time eh?

We are now down to speed 1 out of 3 on the fan and the temp gauge indicates 25 degs. Background is now 35 degs.

I am very happy with this unit, I worried that stepping down from the HUGE units that are running in the restaurants would negate the benefits, not at all. This product certainty has a place in the cooling world.

well i had my problems with copper and enemailed tanks in Ireland , so that stainless stteal tank was a selling factor
I used a 200ltr s/s tank from the milk industry as a brewkettle, absolutely fantastic bit of kit. Used to knock out 100ltr batches of all grain IPA's & Belgian style beers, was great fun.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

38degs this morning and the cooler is putting out a nice cold stream of air at 27degs, bliss for breakfast time on the balcony. :D

Will refill and try in the apartment today and shutdown the split unit. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moved the cooler out of direct sunlight and set fan at lowest speed. It is now outputting at 26 degs! That 12 deg difference feels like an Arctic blast! :o

38 degs in shade with 50% humidity.
Direct sunlight and the sensor shows 47.5 degs air temp.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moved the unit indoors and ran it for an hour with the AC off. It kept the space at 27 deg so we went out and after a month of feeling the aircon atmosphere on re-entry I can safely so that this is no replacement for an active cooling system! It does a tremendous job for what it is, creates a wonderful cool bubble and is significantly better than a floorstanding fan.

Outdoors it can't be beat, indoors it certainly has a place depending on circumstances. Our lower floor is about 15mtrs by 8 mtrs so it's a significant space to cool. The AC is 22,700 btu and cost about £850 to install 4 years back. With that in mind and including its low cost to buy, low cost to run, zero maintenance cost, zero noxious gases and massive outdoor potential the evaporative unit can hold its head up. :)

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

That’s not bad, Joe, given the spec sheet suggests an application area 20-25m2 and you were using it in an area 5-6 times that.

Apply it to the UK, where you probably need AC a few times a year - at the moment - something like this could offer a quick, affordable solution for single room cooling.
billi

Post by billi »

good to know that my cooler produces shower water as an side effect too :D
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

billi wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:54 am good to know that my cooler produces shower water as an side effect too :D
I have not seen that effect yet!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs