Oversized boiler

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
nowty

Re: Oversized boiler

Post by nowty »

Turn the flow temp down if you can, 50 or 55 degrees.
15.2kW PV > 101MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Cycling is way worse with the WC curve down any lower.

Should probably say that we been having -3C overnight and 0C days here.

PSA the ideal logic is absolutely crap, at least it does have a SL2 that forces a priority hot water call at 80C.

:?

Give the state of the install so far it's very possible I'm fighting some underlying issue that I don't know about.
Last edited by Swwils on Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Whats your daily gas consumption at the moment ?
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

60-80 kWh a day.

In the milder weather (8C) it was about 40 kWh a day.

Charging the hot water tank is about 10kwh a day. (I charge it with gas since it's cheaper than electric export).
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

Plumbing wise, a cheaper bodge could be to encourage the boiler to "long cycle". Basically, fire the boiler until return temperature to the boiler gets so warm that the boiler cuts out.

Then continue to circulate the hot water around until it reaches some lower temperature. And repeat. Essentially add more hysterisis to the system.

Should be achievable with basic thermostats, relays and a bit of canny wiring.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

We have an old boiler, (not over-sized, just designed to provide background heating throughout the house) fitted when I/we installed the GCH 40 years ago. I have looked after it - but not obsessively - and I can't get the boiler drain-cock open to de-sludge it (and I am afraid that If I apply too much force I shall wreck the boiler water space!) I have used corrosion inhibitor and (twice at least) put cleaning solution in and have heated and circulated it, plus draining down loads of indian ink from all my drain-cocks - except the one on the boiler, obviously. I suspect I am also paying the price for an even more inefficient boiler than we first installed!

My boiler cycles, bumps and is clearly not well (I suspect because the gas is only actually heating water in the the top 1/3 of the water-space) but I daren't get any more aggressive with it until the spring when we shall be able to do without the heating! I suspect that the only solution will be a total replacement before very long...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

Swwils wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:17 pm 60-80 kWh a day.

In the milder weather (8C) it was about 40 kWh a day.

Charging the hot water tank is about 10kwh a day. (I charge it with gas since it's cheaper than electric export).
Sounds like your house is a good candidate for a heatpump, I was on at least 100 kWh /day at this time of year on gas CH.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Problem I have is that most rads are on 10mm poly runs of quite significant length.

I'd be happy to bung in a heat pump myself, can't be that hard. :lol:
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

There's something wrong here, I think, If your boiler is modulating down to 6kW or so that consumption figure would imply the burner is firing for more than ten hours a day!! Does that seem likely to you? Have you checked the gas rate while it is firing?? that could be revealing.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Swwils wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:50 pm Problem I have is that most rads are on 10mm poly runs of quite significant length.

I'd be happy to bung in a heat pump myself, can't be that hard. :lol:
I self-installed an ASHP here, Got very fed up with getting ludicrously high quotes for an MCS install (cheapest was around £6K). Bought a brand new ASHP for £1,700 (inc VAT, delivered) , spent around £300 on pipes and fittings and had it up and running a day later, never having seen one before.

Only two key things I learned were that they MUST have large bore pipes, they will throw a flow error unless the overall flow resistance is very low, lower that that for a typical boiler (easy fix is to fit a low loss header). Other point is that mine came with default settings that were hopeless for the UK climate. Took me around a day of fiddling about to get the settings right and get the efficiency up above the 3.5 mark.

Other than that is was a lot easier that installing a boiler.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter