Thermal Imaging

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
AGT

Thermal Imaging

Post by AGT »

Ideal temperatures for some photos, I think I will try and borrow the work camera and have a look!

I have a few insulation projects so will be interesting to see a now and possibly next winter update.
Stinsy

Re: Thermal Imaging

Post by Stinsy »

Deffo!

And @nowty I've been meaning to ask you take some pics of your A2A pipework with your thermal imaging camera. Mine seem to get pretty warm!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:47 am @nowty I've been meaning to ask you take some pics of your A2A pipework with your thermal imaging camera. Mine seem to get pretty warm!
It was a borrowed one from Octopus, but I am going to buy one soon as they are handy, especially to look over battery packs and cable connectors. Yes your pipes will be very hot in heating mode as they form part of the condensing circuit. Very high pressure gas, or hot liquid refrigerant.

Conversely in cooling mode they will be very cold as they then form part of the evaporating circuit.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

I bought one a few weeks ago to look at sources of heat leaks in my home and must admit it is pretty impressive. I had cut a small section out of my wall insulation in my hall ages ago and never got back to replacing it, when I looked at the wall with the camera it showed the cold area clearly.
The pictures below show my dog out in the garden and the 4 yellow dots are where his paws had warmed the grass and the other shows where my wood burning stove is situated and the heat transfer through the granite wall and the heat streak up the wall following the flue.
Think I'll go out tonight once the heating has been on and see what it shows, it's currently -5C so should be a a lot colder tonight.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Impressive, I thought FLIRs cost an arm and leg but I would like to play with one.

In the meanwhile has anyone recommendations for a humble IR thermometer with a good range, my current one only goes up to 200C?
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

openspaceman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:22 pm Impressive, I thought FLIRs cost an arm and leg but I would like to play with one.

In the meanwhile has anyone recommendations for a humble IR thermometer with a good range, my current one only goes up to 200C?
You're still looking at £500-1500 for a Flir. Too pricey for me!

The best value is to get one that plugs into a phone because then you're only paying for the flir camera not the screen...

My £10 Aldi IR thermometer goes over 200℃

Last edited by Stinsy on Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

openspaceman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:22 pm Impressive, I thought FLIRs cost an arm and leg but I would like to play with one.

The pictures were not taken with a FLIR camera (too expensive for my use) but from this one on Amazon:
PerfectPrime IR0019, Infrared (IR) Thermal Imager & Visible Light Camera with IR Resolution 76,800 Pixels & Temperature Range from -20 ~ 300°C, 9 Hz Refresh Rate

It had a 40% off offer on at the time.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Thanks, current price of the display seems to be over 600 quid and the aldi ir thermometer is out of stock now.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

The plug in phone one isn't really good enough resolution for anything definitive, ok as general indicator.

320 x 240 is what you want to aim for as a minimum. FLIR e8 or e4 with some tricks.

If you are handy you can also use the modules from certain Porsche, VW, Audi family cars... Scrap dealers will sell them cheap when the front weather lens is cracked but the sensor inside is fine.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

openspaceman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:57 pm Thanks, current price of the display seems to be over 600 quid and the aldi ir thermometer is out of stock now.
Still showing a 30% off voucher which you need to select.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf