Octopus launches its own Heat Pump

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
spread-tee

Re: Octopus launches its own Heat Pump

Post by spread-tee »

Swwils wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:57 pm
NikoV6 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:26 pm I think for true mass adoption, a lot of UK housing likely to be not suitable.

Reality for ASHP is they work best in super insulated houses with under floor heating, the vast majority of UK houses simply wont have this.

I am sure many can be made better, additional insulation and possibly ground floor under floor.

But if you do a cost exercise against say £5K for replacement boiler, versus ASHP retrofit with everything to make it economic I suspect most would choose boiler.

All new builds must have south facing aspect, ASHP, up to 5kW solar and battery storage. Got to start somewhere :D
This is not true and is only because of the whacky market we have. A heat pump doesn't even have to be run "well" to be the most efficient use of energy to heat a space regardless of the source of the base energy. It literally can provide more energy than gas used itself contains even in very "leaky" properties.

Big companies are by far the best placed for heat pump rollouts, individual traders and small outfits obviously were never going to cut it.
The issue is not so much the efficiency or otherwise of a HP in a leaky old house, but the fact that if a customer cant live comfortably after spending a lot of money on a HP they will be pissed off. A new boiler for 3 grand with 30kW to play that overcomes the heat leaks =happy customer.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Yeah, agreed desp.

I also like the relative simplicity of doing away with badly placed rads, potential for leaks, old, unsuitable rads etc etc & sticking a few air units where they will not heat the outside, cleaner air virus / mould spore removal etc, a wet system, flushes, bleeding re-siting, furred up pipes, additives (blah blah)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
marshman

Post by marshman »

Mr Gus wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:11 pm Yeah, agreed desp.

I also like the relative simplicity of doing away with badly placed rads, potential for leaks, old, unsuitable rads etc etc & sticking a few air units where they will not heat the outside, cleaner air virus / mould spore removal etc, a wet system, flushes, bleeding re-siting, furred up pipes, additives (blah blah)
Nowt wrong with a properly installed (ah! there I see an issue !) wet system.
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Heat pumps aren't expensive things. Take a trip over the water and you can pick one up at the super market.

But yeah the situation is bad imagine tasking the current gas engineer fleet to install heat pumps...
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Thanks, gas engineer here.............as you know though it's about a lot more than just buying the unit. Buying them overseas?? that's gonna work :D

Desp
Blah blah blah
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Hi MM,

Lucky bar steward 1980's UFH (grrr)
Bad rads on outer walls here, oil fired boiler, 1970's thus the hatred of em & why I fitted the WBS

& I can pee at greater pressure than our tap dribbles, so it's an area I avoid, pressure washers nigh on unusable too.

Plumber came out years ago & was so scathing of the water pressure he said he'd refuse to pay for it altogether if it was him. :o
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

My experience of heat pumps, since November, hasn’t been too bad.
Firstly I put ufh in on the ground floor 3 years ago because the boiler heated rads were inefficient. It was a fairly big job which started out as a kitchen re-fit and turned into a full scale demolition of the ground floor, however when I started looking into solar, batteries etc the ufh installed was ideal.
I’ve also upgraded our radiators( 90% less water content), which haven’t been fitted yet, trying to tie the plumber down to an install :shock:
My initial motivation was the ridiculous cost of peak electric plus the way the market was going.
But I also have an inate mindset to be more efficient, or perhaps I’m just tight :lol:
I have to say the currents rads haven’t been too bad.
Waiting for cavity insulation to be be fitted in the least insulated area of our house. Our house is 90 years old so not originally that efficient.
I have to say the pumps work better than the boiler even though they are set to 50°c as opposed to 70°c
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 3 170 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Yuff, Im surprised your house has cavity walls at all ( modern extension)!?
Many will be more hesitant than you by the amount of work done for ashp in your older property, can I suggest a project summary in a thread of its own for those that come seeking info down the line? ..it would doubtless shore up a lot in the minds of those contemplating a refit that is on the cusp of an unprecedented demand, & a few horror stories to boot.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mr Gus wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:47 am Yuff, Im surprised your house has cavity walls at all ( modern extension)!?
Many will be more hesitant than you by the amount of work done for ashp in your older property, can I suggest a project summary in a thread of its own for those that come seeking info down the line? ..it would doubtless shore up a lot in the minds of those contemplating a refit that is on the cusp of an unprecedented demand, & a few horror stories to boot.
The cavity wall became widespread in the 1920's, so maybe not so surprising on a 90 year old house.
https://www.londondampcompany.co.uk/the ... f-history/
Last edited by nowty on Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Yeah I realised that our own then 90 year old house was actually from my 1980's reference point ..so I was way out, though many ex council houses round this way are solid brick stock ( sparky mate used to moan like hell at the way they chewed through drill bits, differences in age borough councils & building styles I guess.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS