Lobbying for heat only air conditioning to receive public support

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
GarethC

Lobbying for heat only air conditioning to receive public support

Post by GarethC »

What do you think of the below all? I've had to do it in a hurry. I've no interest in not portraying the costs and benefits accurately, so very happy to hear input and criticism.

Problem (part 1)

Millions of gas boilers must be replaced in order for Scotland and the UK to achieve net zero.

It’s perhaps the most difficult, but essential, element of decarbonising homes.

Unfortunately, affordable (to install and run), effective, low installation disruption alternatives just do not exist.

The UK and Scottish governments are highly incentivising a switch to “air-to-water” heat pumps as a large part of the solution.

They are currently too expensive to install (circa £15k average AND often major cost of upgrading insulation, vs £3k gas boiler replacement). Households with average incomes of circa £40k cannot afford upgrades of this cost.

This means grants and subsidies have to be unsustainably large to incentivise uptake (£7.5k grant + up to £7.5k loan from Home Energy Scotland).

Unlike the experience with, for example, wind power and solar panels, there is limited scope for air to water heat pump installation costs to fall sufficiently.

This is largely due to the great amount of internal work needed, which often involves upgrading insulation and expensive under floor heating or replacement emitters.

Given the differential between electricity and gas costs, they are also rarely much cheaper to run that gas boilers.

Therefore they are currently a poor proposition. While this will improve as installation volumes rise, the cost gap is too large. More affordable and effective and less disruptive solutions are required.

The solution (part 1)

Luckily, a solution already exists which we estimate will tend to be (EVIDENCE REQUIRED FOR BELOW STATEMENTS):

• 30-40% cheaper to buy and install
• Faster and less disruptive to install
• 30% cheaper to run

These are air conditioning systems (also known as “air to air” heat pumps).

“Multi-split” or “ducted” air conditioning systems are cheaper to buy than air to water because the air conditioning market is already far larger than that for air to water systems. Crucially, the supply chain, including installation skills, is already mature. That for air-to-water remains to be fully established.

They are cheaper and easier to install because under floor heating installation and replacement radiators or under-floor pipework is not required, and they are fundamentally simpler systems. They are also faster to react than air-to-water, and multi-splits can provide much better control (up to 6 individually controlled indoor units)

The problem (part 2)

Currently, air to air heat pumps attract NO public subsidy because:

1. They do not provide hot water
2. They can be used for cooling, which is not a sustainable use of electricity

The Home Energy Scotland and Energy Saving Trust websites mention warm air heating as an option, but otherwise they receive almost no encouragement. Homeowners just do not realise that they are an option. Moreover, not providing any financial support makes them unattractive, and implicitly suggests that they are discouraged.

Also, because air conditioning is treated unfavourably in energy modelling software, installing an air conditioning system currently WORSENS a home’s EPC, despite it almost certainly delivering a large reduction in carbon emissions vs a gas boiler.

The solution (part 2)

Air to air systems should be recognised as an effective solution. They should receive at least limited financial and ‘marketing’ support. If necessary, modelling should be undertaken to evidence this assertion. If deemed necessary, ‘heat only’ air conditioning systems could be developed, which would be trivial.

Next steps

1. Better modelling of the potential costs and benefits of air conditioning vs air to water should be undertaken. This should show that air conditioning systems would be cheaper to install and run.
2. Modelling should be undertaken which will almost certainly show that, even if used for cooling in Scotland, air conditioning systems provide a much lower carbon heating solution on average
3. Based on that, HES should consider whether such systems should receive financial and “marketing” support
4. The need to provide DHW should be considered, as hot water represents a much smaller proportion of home carbon emissions. It might be jettisoned, perhaps at the cost of lower financial support for air conditioning.
5. It could be retained if deemed appropriate. Air to air systems exist which can provide hot water.
6. If cooling remains problematic, manufacturers should be engaged to provide heat only air conditioners. This would be trivial. Simply adjusting controls (handheld and app based) to remove cooling functions would be easy.
7. Note that if used only for heating, air conditioning systems do not need condensate drains, rendering their installation even cheaper.
Mr Gus

Re: Lobbying for heat only air conditioning to receive public support

Post by Mr Gus »

I skim read, it appears to be what we have previously banged our heads about around here & st elsewhere.

All good, allowing the powers to be to do / mothball the math.

This will drop into the lap of an MP office flunkey, so you've covered what matters in a principal contact to raise the issue.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

You’re right of course. But banging you’re head against a wall if you think the powers that be would allow A2A to be subsidised.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:10 pm You’re right of course. But banging you’re head against a wall if you think the powers that be would allow A2A to be subsidised.
Or even just the regulatory / planning rules to be relaxed.

But I'm likely to add a third one this year, regardless of the rules. :twisted:
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

When you think of climate change, don't you also think

The versatility of constructing kit that heats & cools, rather than one or the other, will assist in keeping the sick / elderly more comfortable & less prone to heatstroke if change was applied to dual function ashp?

If we don't then more questionable hot air movers (shonky plastic fans) will still be in employ, compared to a main livingroom kept properly cool & people functional.
Surely dual ashp should be used to max benefit & tie in with insulation for comparison as with / without & get folk thinking more about loft n wall work that could help livi g comfort all year round rather than the winter mindset?

Seems we have no standards for portable room circulation fans, I always think 60w for a small fan 130w for a big 18 inch, but see them as low as 40 & 90 w respectively which is throwing good money after bad.

Our A rated argos challenge unit air con heat unit is 16 years old now, It was £3.00 new, damaged box, we forget to use it 😳 more often than not. plastic has gone from white to cream but still it does the job when a bedroom hits 30-35c at night.

Last summer I put the blighter on a raised box with planking board to spread the weight & allow drainage into a 3 litre bottle, as the rubber pipe had perished, used fish pump air filter pump hose, after a suffocation event in an aquarium we had set up just fine for 20 years in the heatwave, after a water change. ..it still bothers me.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:27 pm
Stinsy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:10 pm You’re right of course. But banging you’re head against a wall if you think the powers that be would allow A2A to be subsidised.

Yeah, it is even worse if you live in a conservation area or national park. I’m thinking of putting a little 5-6KW ASHP on the wall in addition to the A2A (to replace the gas boiler). I’ve only used 25-30kWh of gas a day this winter what with my A2A doing the heavy lifting.

I’ll just have to assume none of the neighbours will get on the blower to the council…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

"heat only" :lol:

A2A is the way forward, no idea why UK so obsessed with wet systems.
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:02 pm
nowty wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:27 pm

Yeah, it is even worse if you live in a conservation area or national park. I’m thinking of putting a little 5-6KW ASHP on the wall in addition to the A2A (to replace the gas boiler). I’ve only used 25-30kWh of gas a day this winter what with my A2A doing the heavy lifting.

I’ll just have to assume none of the neighbours will get on the blower to the council…
Could describe it as a 'heating equipment store" or a oil / gas tank which would be allowed.
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Swwils wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:29 pm "heat only" :lol:

A2A is the way forward, no idea why UK so obsessed with wet systems.
Surely the best use of A2A heat pumps is as part of an MVHR system, then you will get a better CoP as you are not heating the air up from a low OAT base.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels in S Devon, ~3.9 MWh/year
8 x 405W Longi panels, 3.355 MWh/yr projected
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 with 250/60 MPPT
3 x Pylontec 3.55 kWh Force-L2
zappi 7kW EV charger
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system