Pool Heat pumps - just for pools ?

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Moxi

Pool Heat pumps - just for pools ?

Post by Moxi »

In my aimless pottering's on several well know trading sites of all things good to not so good I happened upon a large number of small air source heat pumps of various sizes and claims and I thought back to a number of people who have pools or hot tubs in the first instance to wonder if you were aware of such things, given my previous total ignorance of heat pump tumble dryers.

An example of the units widely available just taken at random from bing - other search engines are available.

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/arebos-heat-pu ... oup%20%231

Having seen quite a few it got me wondering what else these diminutive plug and play units could be plumbed into and wondered if they could be a legitimate stepping stone for a BUDGET DIY DHW system as an example.

Known for my hairbrained schemes I presume I am missing some essential nugget of engineering or physics as to why this cannot be so but I am in the mind to float ideas and thoughts today so take aim and shoot me down if you will.

Moxi
nowty

Re: Pool Heat pumps - just for pools ?

Post by nowty »

They may work up to a point but I would steer clear as wrong flow rate and wrong temperature range, there are plenty of relatively cheap monoblocs for DIY DHW available.

Example,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295373873999
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

I too have looked at these both for small blow up pool and limited central heating use.
My research suggests "pool" heat pumps have a limited output temp and a small operating range of input air temps -some say a min of 15c !!!
I guess low cost = lower efficiency and lower spec equipment.........
Several better output/input specs for 1-2k about on world websites or you could google heatpumps with the name "Dream" -no afiliation.
George
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
cojmh

Post by cojmh »

I have been sorting this project for myself albeit rather slowly.

I purchased the kit I think I need and there were 4 main components which are basically:

1. Eddi Solar diverter with the expansion board (1st heats the HWT then the inflatable hot tub).
2. Electric heater for the water that is safe for pools (I bought one from the same manufacturer as the hot-tub - Intex)
3. Water pump with the correct flow rate for the heater and correct diameter connectors for pipes and heater
4. PT1000 temp sensor which can be plumbed in to the inlet side of the heater (with again correct pipe fittings).

The main thing that I have been waiting on is running the external wiring (underground) for the Eddi to connect to the unit and basically consists of 2 * 2.5mm2 twin and earth and the temp sensor cable.

However all of the tech specs of everything matches and given that it is mainly for my kids I was wary to get branded items as I don't want an accident. Everything is RCD protected at the equipment end as well as at the consumer unit.

Hopefully, I will have the wiring in by July ..... it is part of a bigger underground run of cabling for two other projects too hence the slow progress.