Pool heater

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
ecogeorge

Pool heater

Post by ecogeorge »

My energy needs and consumption are modest. I try to live a fairly frugal lifestyle with currently 1 allotment, 1 garden and now up to 1250w pv vertically mounted predominately facing west. Electricity import so far in June is 42Kwh. Cooking electric , hot water is gas although using a Solic diverter we have several days gas free. Installed a capillary temp gauge onto top of dhw cylinder -40c means dont turn gas on ............
My only bit of luxury is a blow up pool -8' across to lie in.............. BUT needs to be heated for me.
I need to heat pool efficiently and have previously used the house heat pump at my last address.
Currently no heat pump and need a quick fix ..............anyone got any experience / comments on the linky .........
https://www.manomano.co.uk/catalogue/p/ ... w-67645246
George
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Stinsy

Re: Pool heater

Post by Stinsy »

I have a few friends with hot tubs. Their experience is that insulation makes a huge difference. You can have the factory insulation upgraded, you can buy additional covers, etc., all these make a huge difference to how much heat the tub retains and therefore how much energy is consumed. I’d suggest the first thing you look at is insulation.

The link you posted falls into “too good to be true” territory I’m afraid. If you really could get a 3.9kW HP for £360 then there’d be one on every house!

Have a look on eBay for used ASHPs a few available around £500, with faulty units available much cheaper if you fancy having a go at a repair.

New ASHPs that actually work start at £2k and go up from there!

Here is a used small ASHP designed for swimming pools advertised for £1750. I guess it was woefully undersized for the application. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225134165358
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Can you exterior build a insulated wall & base for an inflatable pool, would you even want to?

To "cap it" is surely progress on whatever comes next, I agree with previous comments re the cheap pool heat pump, ...but either way we all know insulating makes sense.

No idea what seconds & co do price wise these days, ebay made them very expensive, lack of chemical in the industry only more so! \weight bearing insulation for the base would be a mare but worthwhile, I/m guessing it's got a permanent site that is utilised in the warmer months & beyond for you to consider any hook up costs & the heater.

What is the ground like to drop in an insulated base as a starting point & lid to bring down pre-existing losses?
(what is the total weight borne when full & active movement I guess i'm asking as that would likely be a desp's first question bearing the brunt of the weight, (ring walls doing a lot more)

If you were to wing it then decent insulated base, clad extruded polystyrene pieces banded together to go around with a secure entry / exit point that is reinforced to bear more heaving. the rest you might consider as a roll out blind (but a thick one) with a few bracing points for adverse weather & water slosh containment.

I'm guessing it is put straight to earth? ie on what was once grass, or is it on a supporting frame already?

Desp, where are you old son?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

We got a Costco 5m x 3m pool up to a bearable 24degs one year with just the solar mat that comes with it.
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Agree about insulation, have always used bubble wrap type cover and dust cover also to add a layer.
Pool base down , well 6 x euro pallets ( free) , followed by 2sheets 18mm ply. (Not free)
Then carpet underlay ( free cycle) and 300 micron dpm.
Then red carpet. ( Free cycle).
Will up my budget and purchase a better quality heat pump.
George

1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Not a lot of specs on that one, that i could see.

This one is one i wired in for a customer a while back, (don't know how much they cost, sorry), but should give you an idea of the performance specs to look for.

COP up to 16.0 in optimal condition
Attachments
20230615_163015.jpg
20230615_163015.jpg (130.69 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
20230615_163006.jpg
20230615_163006.jpg (101.27 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

https://www.norsup.eu/the-many-advantag ... heat-pump/

https://www.bosta.com/en-gb/norsup-heat ... l-7024626m

Ouch "from" £2.5k ...which is an insane proposition for E.G. to contemplate.

This cheap, out of stock unit looks pretty modern, have you researched this one at all? (as to BS or fact) are you an extended season floater? (as the ones I briefly perused were all "air temp 27c" very limiting, all depends on your use really.

https://heatpumps4pools.com/product/ag- ... p-to-10m3/
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more