Gas Usage while on holiday?

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
AGT

Gas Usage while on holiday?

Post by AGT »

Any thoughts on this?
See screenshot.
No one at home, so no hot water draw off, heating set to manual but room stat set to 12 deg so effectively off.
Same consumption for a few days
Worcester Bosch boiler on eco mode so no preheat activated.
Just wondering what the collective thought

Stinsy

Re: Gas Usage while on holiday?

Post by Stinsy »

All modern gas boilers run for a few mins every day so that the don’t seize and to clear condensation.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AGT

Post by AGT »

Ah wasn’t aware of that Stinsy, but makes perfect sense, would never have noticed before the smart meter was installed and have no issues in the boiler preventing itself seizing up.

Cheers appreciate the info
Ken

Post by Ken »

I thought combi boilers keep their heat exchangers warm but i thought this only happened in winter etc.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

I think you have a fault or an incorrect setting in the engineers menu, the anti seize function only runs the pump, and on some boilers also the fan, for a few seconds 24 hours after it last ran. It should not fire the burner as well. If you have the installation manual try to enter the engineers menu and see if something is set wrong.
Blah blah blah
AGT

Post by AGT »

Will investigate on my return thanks for the reply!
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

spread-tee wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:03 pm I think you have a fault or an incorrect setting in the engineers menu, the anti seize function only runs the pump, and on some boilers also the fan, for a few seconds 24 hours after it last ran. It should not fire the burner as well. If you have the installation manual try to enter the engineers menu and see if something is set wrong.
Nope.

All modern boilers fire up for a few mins once a day. Not just pump/fan.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:24 pm
spread-tee wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:03 pm I think you have a fault or an incorrect setting in the engineers menu, the anti seize function only runs the pump, and on some boilers also the fan, for a few seconds 24 hours after it last ran. It should not fire the burner as well. If you have the installation manual try to enter the engineers menu and see if something is set wrong.
Nope.

All modern boilers fire up for a few mins once a day. Not just pump/fan.
I don't think so mate, none of the ones I work on anyway.
Blah blah blah
Ken

Post by Ken »

From google

Pre-heating

The timer and the thermostat should not affect the preheating process or a combi-boiler, however. You might hear your boiler fire up from time to time, even when the heating is off and you’re not drawing any hot water. This is completely normal, and is there to ensure you have hot water when you turn it on. If there’s no pre-heat, you might find you have to run the hot tap for 40–60 seconds before any hot water comes out. If you’re trying to save water, that’s not a good thing.

https://idealheating.com/tips-and-advic ... -heres-why
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

We run ours in Eco - no pre-heating. Basically, the boiler (Worcester Bosch) in non-Eco would fire now and again to maintain a small reservoir of hot water to minimise wait for hot water at the tap.

Eco is the same mode as AGT uses - saves a significant amount of gas wastage.

Not sure how other boilers, such as Ideal, can function, but it looks like Ideal is the same. It’s more for convenience to have pre-heat.

You get used to washing hands in cold water post loo, running water to wash up (?) we save in a bowl for the garden.

I do think the pre-heat is a wasteful, unnecessary function.