Gas Usage while on holiday?

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Stinsy

Re: Gas Usage while on holiday?

Post by Stinsy »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:14 pm Ref " I'm thinking of swapping out 30kW gas boiler for a 6kW heat pump! "

If your living well down South and not up North.

Heat pump O.K. if you use P.V. to heat the water. :oops: In shower / bath water not hot enough.

Heat pump O.K. If you have lots of layers of clothing to wear inside the house in the Winter. :oops:

Fitted a 6kW ground source heat pump here 20 years ago. Really good for cooling the house a few times in the Summer.
The temperature they give out for heating. :lol:
DHW will be resistive electric via off-peak and solar electric.

Last winter I burned 26.5kWh a day of gas. Given my boiler is at best 80% efficient then that is 21.2kWh of actual heat. Don't forget that some of that would've been for DHW so I'm confident that a 6kW HP would be fine.

12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:47 pm
ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:14 pm Ref " I'm thinking of swapping out 30kW gas boiler for a 6kW heat pump! "

Heat pump O.K. if you use P.V. to heat the water. :oops: In shower / bath water not hot enough.

Heat pump O.K. If you have lots of layers of clothing to wear inside the house in the Winter. :oops:

Fitted a 6kW ground source heat pump here 20 years ago. Really good for cooling the house a few times in the Summer.

Last winter I burned 26.5kWh a day of gas. Given my boiler is at best 80% efficient then that is 21.2kWh of actual heat. Don't forget that some of that would've been for DHW so I'm confident that a 6kW HP would be fine.

I will be interested to read of your progress on the heat pump Stinsy. Will it be self install or maybe Octopus?
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:47 pm

Sounds like 6kw should be fine - the question is do you have sufficient large area emitters to transfer 6kw to the house without making the HP run 'hot'?
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:06 pm I will be interested to read of your progress on the heat pump Stinsy. Will it be self install or maybe Octopus?
Deffo will be self-install. Would’ve been a project for this year but got some family stuff going on that has changed priorities for the time being. I’ve seen a few well-priced units come and go on eBay I’m sure there’ll be others when I come to do the job.
Marcus wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:12 pm Sounds like 6kw should be fine - the question is do you have sufficient large area emitters to transfer 6kw to the house without making the HP run 'hot'?
We have 13x radiators and 2x hydronic plinth heaters. 3x of the radiators have been upgraded to much bigger ones. I run my boiler at a super-low flow temp so I’m confident all will be good. I’m happy upgrade a rad or two or fit a supplemental circulation pump post-install if the system needs it.

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

AGT wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:52 pm Still away and boiler now firing up twice a day!

It’s 19.7 deg where the stat is located so it’s not calling for heat.

Further investigation required!!

That gas consumption looks about right for the preheat function/day, or maybe even the anti-freeze function. The more I think about this the more convinced I am that some setting is wrong within the boiler menu. Try phoning the WB technical people, they are pretty good and it normally doesn't take an age to get through to them.

Desp
Blah blah blah
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:18 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:06 pm I will be interested to read of your progress on the heat pump Stinsy. Will it be self install or maybe Octopus?
Deffo will be self-install. Would’ve been a project for this year but got some family stuff going on that has changed priorities for the time being. I’ve seen a few well-priced units come and go on eBay I’m sure there’ll be others when I come to do the job.
Marcus wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:12 pm Sounds like 6kw should be fine - the question is do you have sufficient large area emitters to transfer 6kw to the house without making the HP run 'hot'?
We have 13x radiators and 2x hydronic plinth heaters. 3x of the radiators have been upgraded to much bigger ones. I run my boiler at a super-low flow temp so I’m confident all will be good. I’m happy upgrade a rad or two or fit a supplemental circulation pump post-install if the system needs it.
How are you going to ensure enough heat transfer to the DHW? Ongoing discussion here. Perhaps you will bite the bullet and put in a new tank? Personally I regard that as a waste but have not found an installer who will fit a new HP without one, or agree to a recirculating pump or heat exchanger instead.

Re the OP we always put the programmer to OFF when we are away in the summer, wouldn't rely on the thermostat. Have checked the gas meter on several occasions, result is absolutely nil consumption. Vokera Minute 12kW, manual says the anti-blocking cycle runs the pump only, not fan or burner (don't see the point, fan not likely to sitck as it is not sitting in claggy water).
16 x 230W Upsolar panels in S Devon, ~3.9 MWh/year
8 x 405W Longi panels, 3.355 MWh/yr projected
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 with 250/60 MPPT
3 x Pylontec 3.55 kWh Force-L2
zappi 7kW EV charger
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

sharpener wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:05 pm
Stinsy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:18 pm
How are you going to ensure enough heat transfer to the DHW? Ongoing discussion here. Perhaps you will bite the bullet and put in a new tank? Personally I regard that as a waste but have not found an installer who will fit a new HP without one, or agree to a recirculating pump or heat exchanger instead.

Re the OP we always put the programmer to OFF when we are away in the summer, wouldn't rely on the thermostat. Have checked the gas meter on several occasions, result is absolutely nil consumption. Vokera Minute 12kW, manual says the anti-blocking cycle runs the pump only, not fan or burner (don't see the point, fan not likely to sitck as it is not sitting in claggy water).
1) The plan for DHW not quite finalised. Thinking originally was for a 180L “solar” DHW tank with a small coil at the very bottom the heating circuit would run through that coil then into the radiator circuit. The immersion would bring the DHW to 45℃ On cheap-rate and solar electric. The more I think about it the additional cost/complexity doesn’t warrant it and I might go for a cheap “Ecconomy7” tank and resistive heat only.

The problem you have with “installers” is that the grant can only be paid for installs that meet a particular set of one-size-fits-all design requirements.

2) I know someone who went to Australia for a few weeks last winter. He returned to a house with every pipe burst. He’d turned the boiler off at the FCU!

sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:35 am
sharpener wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:05 pm

1) The plan for DHW not quite finalised. Thinking originally was for a 180L “solar” DHW tank with a small coil at the very bottom the heating circuit would run through that coil then into the radiator circuit. The immersion would bring the DHW to 45℃ On cheap-rate and solar electric. The more I think about it the additional cost/complexity doesn’t warrant it and I might go for a cheap “Ecconomy7” tank and resistive heat only.

The problem you have with “installers” is that the grant can only be paid for installs that meet a particular set of one-size-fits-all design requirements.
Yes, difficult. Our HW tank is almost entirely heated by the PV, full tank uses about 9kWh/day. So if it were heated by the HP instead at say CoP = 3 then there would be 6kWh @ 45p worth = £2.70/day available for HP to do space heating (so 18kWh delivered). Occupied full-time that would be say £500/year so maybe capex of £2k5 to achieve it would be worthwhile.

Or heat the tank at night with HP running off E7, 3kWh @ 15p but this saves a futher £3kW @ daytime rate so now £3.60/day, even better. Hope I have not double counted anything, these sums are quite complicated to do in one's head. But for sure not having to replace the tank would make the capex a lot lower.

Today's game is responding to all the points planners have raised as to why my application fails validation. Unfortunately the Vaillant 12kW is 0.1 cu metre over the limit but if I DIY I will need PP anyway, did you have any problems with that aspect of yr project?
Stinsy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:35 am
2) I know someone who went~to Australia for a few weeks last winter. He returned to a house with every pipe burst. He’d turned the boiler off at the FCU!
I edited to add "in summer" for that very reason. In winter it costs us £2/day at frost protect temps, cheap for peace of mind.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels in S Devon, ~3.9 MWh/year
8 x 405W Longi panels, 3.355 MWh/yr projected
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 with 250/60 MPPT
3 x Pylontec 3.55 kWh Force-L2
zappi 7kW EV charger
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

sharpener wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:13 pm Today's game is responding to all the points planners have raised as to why my application fails validation. Unfortunately the Vaillant 12kW is 0.1 cu metre over the limit but if I DIY I will need PP anyway, did you have any problems with that aspect of yr project?
I'm only going for a teeny "6kW" HP. However despite its small size, the fact that I already have an A2A means that I strictly-speaking should apply for PP. But like others on here I'm not too concerned about the administrative side of things...

nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:44 pm
sharpener wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:13 pm Today's game is responding to all the points planners have raised as to why my application fails validation. Unfortunately the Vaillant 12kW is 0.1 cu metre over the limit but if I DIY I will need PP anyway, did you have any problems with that aspect of yr project?
I'm only going for a teeny "6kW" HP. However despite its small size, the fact that I already have an A2A means that I strictly-speaking should apply for PP. But like others on here I'm not too concerned about the administrative side of things...
+1, as long as your reasonably discrete, no one cares, I've got 2 without PP.

I even asked my neighbour if he could he hear it as its just under 1m from his fence and he did not even know it was there after 6 months of use.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 18MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3