ASHP results

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Bugtownboy

Re: ASHP results

Post by Bugtownboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:53 pm The fixation on a one off solution, that solves everything :roll: rather than the reality & common sense in use of have something to add to the output for the hump months ...does my head in.
Totally agree Gus. Never understood why we try to make do with one form of heating.

Surely some form of resilience, that isn’t grid dependent, makes sense ?
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:57 pm
ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:07 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66359093

Sensibly written article.

It makes cense fitting in a properly designed / well insulated new build home. Grey area fitting in an old build with inadequate insulation / windows / radiators / pipe work.
There’s a whole prog dedicated to HP’s on BBC1 tonight @ 21:00 - presumably on the back of this article.
It was on early this morning, it was the usual far from technical stuff over-simping it for the masses, with some ok stuff inbetween, didn't hear all of it as my DAB radio died during it, so enamoured was I with the content to that point that I didn't bother plugging it in :roll:
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:01 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:53 pm The fixation on a one off solution, that solves everything :roll: rather than the reality & common sense in use of have something to add to the output for the hump months ...does my head in.
Totally agree Gus. Never understood why we try to make do with one form of heating.

Surely some form of resilience, that isn’t grid dependent, makes sense ?
I have. Battery powered oil-fuelled air heater.🙂

When oil is cheaper than gas (and doesn’t need ‘lectric to pump the heat round radiators) we will survive OK in cold weather. Limited to downstairs, but better than nothing at all.

I’m (hopefully) getting a price for a GSHP. It has got to be better in the longer term - but may not be viable, at present, for a reasonable ROI. But I suspect the break-even point will become much shorter as time moves on….