ASHP - reverse valve settings

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Yuff

Re: ASHP - reverse valve settings

Post by Yuff »

The new radiators, designed to work with our heat pumps have been installed and look much nicer than our old radiators.

https://jaga.co.uk/freestanding-radiators/linea-plus

The old rads weren’t very efficient and took about 40 mins to heat up plumber said there was quite a bit of sludge in a lot of the radiators.
They were tested on the day it was 27c a few weeks ago whilst we were away, and he said they was,Ed up pretty quickly, but I haven’t had a chance to use them yet as it’s been quite warm, hopefully come October they’ll be working well.
Haven’t changed the dip switches yet to allow the cooling function as I don’t think I’ll be need cooling anytime soon of this summer is anything to go by……
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 3 170 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Interesting day, woke up and radiators had stopped working but underfloor heating working as normal.
Found out issue was pressure in heating system had dropped below 1 bar so topped it up bit heating still not working.
Checked heat pump settings and saw an exclamation light was on so switched off and back on and thought that would be all good.
Radiators are back working but the temp of the water flowing through isn’t as hot, as before I had the issue, and some of radiators don’t get hot enough to kick the hybrid fans into action.
I’ve turned the heat pump up an extra 3°c to see if that makes any difference but no joy.
One benefit was when I was playing around with the heat pump settings I accidentally went into the reverse valve settings by mistake so if it is a blistering summer the bedrooms all have cooling now :)
Anyone any ideas why the water temp is reduced flowing through the radiators?
It isn’t he end of the world as only 2 radiator fans not working and even in this weather we can cope with that :cat-smile:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
Ripple 5.8 kW PV
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Yuff wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:57 pm Interesting day, woke up and radiators had stopped working but underfloor heating working as normal.
Found out issue was pressure in heating system had dropped below 1 bar so topped it up bit heating still not working.
Checked heat pump settings and saw an exclamation light was on so switched off and back on and thought that would be all good.
Radiators are back working but the temp of the water flowing through isn’t as hot, as before I had the issue, and some of radiators don’t get hot enough to kick the hybrid fans into action.
I’ve turned the heat pump up an extra 3°c to see if that makes any difference but no joy.
One benefit was when I was playing around with the heat pump settings I accidentally went into the reverse valve settings by mistake so if it is a blistering summer the bedrooms all have cooling now :)
It isn’t he end of the world as only 2 radiator fans not working and even in this weather we can cope with that :cat-smile:
Be careful. Rads used for cooling can stream with condensation. I’ve heard good reviews of UF-cooling though.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Yuff wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:57 pm Interesting day, woke up and radiators had stopped working but underfloor heating working as normal.
Could it be as simple as ice on the HP preventing it getting upto the higher temperature? We had rain/snow last night afer it had started freezing hard.

After defrosting the car this morning then with it starting to get light I realised that our driveway and road (end of cul-de-sac on steep hill) were covered in a layer of ice and getting out would be too dangerous - 10 drop in first 30m to next door then it only drops at about 1 in 4 for the next 50m, with large trees either side and a large vertical drop behind the trees on one side just ot worth the risk. As Id was outside assessing the bin wagon came up, got as far as nxr door and slid down sideways until hitting something - not sure what may be a tree, a loose kerb stone or just the roughes part of the road (track).

Our ASHP continued output as normal but I haven't checked for defrosts.
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

I think the heat pumps automatically defrost as there is ice around the base of both heat pumps.
It might just be the pumps are struggling to get to 50°c in this weather but they aren’t calling for more electric, actually they are using less so I think a setting has gone awol
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
Ripple 5.8 kW PV
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Be careful. Rads used for cooling can stream with condensation. I’ve heard good reviews of UF-cooling though.
[/quote]

I’ve got a bit of time to sort this out I think :cat-laugh:
The TRVs have special settings for cooling.
Not had a chance to test them out and I suspect I don’t need to cool th RV m that much if it’s 25+ outside
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
Ripple 5.8 kW PV
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Found the solution, or more truthfully, the installer popped around, who had just been on a Mitsubishi course earlier this week, and noted I had turned on the timer schedule which had turned off the heat pumps.
On the flip side I used 50 kWh less than I would have done, on the minus side the house wasn’t very warm :freezing:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
Ripple 5.8 kW PV
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Update on the heat pumps

Looks like there is a refrigerant leak on one of my pumps :twisted:
Common fault apparently on the 8.5 and 11.5 kWh models.
Not great for a 14 month old pump
Should be covered under warranty.
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
Ripple 5.8 kW PV